Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Graydon's goal earns Town a valuable point against Charlton

16 March 2024

Match Reports

Report: Graydon's goal earns Town a valuable point against Charlton

16 March 2024

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town earned another point and extended their unbeaten streak to six after drawing 1-1 with Charlton Athletic at Highbury.

Substitute Ryan Graydon levelled up the proceedings at the death in the League One clash, with his strike going in off the inside of the post, therefore cancelling out Alfie May’s first-half spot-kick.

It was Fleetwood who first tested the waters with two chances early on with Xavier Simon’s left-footed effort being tipped over the bar - the resulting corner Town attempted to up the tempo with a few consecutive chances.

Jayden Stockley then met a Phoenix Patterson cross into the six-yard box perfectly with his head, but it went to the wrong side of the post.

Chances were then at a premium for both sides, but in the 22nd minute Brendan Wiredu managed to find himself in a good position in the attacking box, however, his finessed effort was palmed away by Harry Isted.

With half an hour played, the game was played in the middle of the park with neither set of fans treated to too much goal-mouth action as both sides were trying to work the other out.

Gavin Kilkenny’s composure at the back did allow Town to work themselves a few passes and up the field, but the final ball didn’t quite work out.

Despite how even the game was with both sides lacking clear-cut efforts on goal, the deadlock was broken just before half-time as it was Alfie May who won a penalty for the visitors and Charlton’s number nine who slotted it home for the Addicks to take the lead going into the interval.

In the second half, Fleetwood came out the blocks up for the fight, Ryan Broom and Shaun Rooney worked the ball well down the flank, the latter’s pull-back was met by Bosun Lawal and his effort was matched by Isted.

Twenty minutes into the second period it was Charlton’s turn to dictate play, but Town rode the wave of pressure and the hunt for the equaliser continued. 

With six minutes left to play, there were some valiant efforts to get back into the game and Town’s efforts were rewarded as Graydon managed to find himself with the ball at his feet after some good work by Tommy Lonergan to clip the ball into the back of the net and round Isted into the back of the net.

Despite Fleetwood’s effort to huff and puff at Charlton for that vital winner alongside Isted denying Lonergan the chance for a heroic winner as his header was down the 'keeper's throat, the spoils were shared in the end.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Wiredu (C), Lawal, Kilkenny (Graydon 74'), Stockley, Broom, Heneghan, Simons (Mayor 62'), Omochere (Lonergan 74'), Rooney, Patterson.

Unused subs: McMullan (GK), Johnston, Samuels, Holgate.

Charlton XI: Isted (GK), Thomas, Dobson, May (Ladapo 83'), Watson (Hector 90'), Small. Gillesphey, Kanu (LuaLua 90'), Anderson. Coventry, Edmonds-Green.

Unused subs: Maynard-Brewer (GK), Campbell, Bakinson, Asiimwe.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account