Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town fall to defeat to Crewe at Highbury

20 April 2021

Match Reports

Report: Town fall to defeat to Crewe at Highbury

20 April 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town lost out to Crewe Alexandra as the visitor walked away from Highbury 2-0 winners on Tuesday evening.

Simon Grayson’s side started the game strong, creating better chances, but it was Owen Dale who opened the scoring as he placed the ball past Alex Cairns from close range. Kyle Vassell had his penalty saved shortly after and Chris Porter, who also had a penalty, converted his meaning Crewe would walk away winners on the night.

Town had the first chance of the game just 60 seconds into the game as Vassell controlled the ball well, played it inside to Barrie McKay, but he seemed to slightly rush his chance, which was saved by Will Jaaskelainen.

Fleetwood carried on the pressure and created a few more half-chances in the opening ten minutes with the best of those being a Callum Camps volley from distance, which flew just over the opposition’s crossbar.

The visitors then went on the attack soon after and they almost broke the deadlock from a corner, but after a scramble in the box and a scuffed shot from their forward, it was caught by Alex Cairns and kicked clear.

Five minutes later, Mikael Mandron had a chance from the edge of the Fleetwood box as he brought the ball down from a tricky pass, put it onto his right foot, and drilled it towards goal, which needed saving by the goalkeeper.

25 minutes in, Crewe did put themselves in the lead as they worked their way in the box from the right-wing, with Mandron playing the ball across the box to Dale, who side-stepped and passes it into the back of the net.

A minute later, Camps dribbled forwards through a crowd of players, substitute Donervon Daniels brought him down in the box, earning Town a penalty. Vassell then stepped up, but his strike was saved by Jaaskelainen.

Vassell had another effort on the half-hour mark as he managed to rise highest in the box and head the ball towards, forcing a save out of the ‘keeper. Defender Nathan Wood then went down after the attack and eventually had to be subbed off after half-time, to be replaced by Anthony Evans.

Not much action happened at the start of the second half, as the first chance of the second period came in the 55th minute as Dan Batty was brought down on the edge of the Crewe box, McKay stepped up to take the free-kick, testing Jaaskelainen.

Town yet again created quite a few half-chances, but it was Crewe who managed to strike again as Connolly concedes a penalty eight minutes before the final whistle. Porter stepped up and slotted it into the bottom-left corner.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew, Connolly (C), Camps, Rossiter (Finley 65’), Vassell, McKay, Donacien, Batty (Baggley 71’), Hill, Rydel (Garner 65’).

Subs not used: Coleman (GK), Duffy, Saunders, Biggins.

Crewe XI: Jaaskelainen (GK), Pickering (C), Lowery, Porter, Mandron, Lancaster, Offord (Daniels 20’), Dale, Adebisi, Murphy, Wood (Evans 48’).

Subs not used: Richards (GK), Kirk, Ainley, Johnson, Walker.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account