Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Holt and Hunter fire the Cod Army to victory over Plymouth

16 March 2019

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town left Highbury Stadium victorious after a 2-0 win against Plymouth Argyle in torrential conditions on the Fylde Coast.

An inspired performance in the second half saw Fleetwood get the three points after what was an open first half.

Jason Holt got the scoring underway with his first Sky Bet League One goal of this season’s campaign, before substitute Ash Hunter slotted in the second to ensure victory for the Cod Army.

It was Fleetwood who had the first chance of the game after Paddy Madden was able to steal the ball from Niall Canavan and get in behind the Plymouth defence. The Irishman, however, could only force Matt Macey into making a low save.

Town continued the early pressure and threatened again this time from Jack Sowerby’s corner. Ched Evans’ header at goal was blocked by Yann Songo’o before Ryan Rydel’s effort from outside the box was blocked on its way through to goal.

Plymouth responded well and came close themselves with two chances in quick succession. Graham Carey was able to drive forwards into the box, but his effort was hit high and wide.

Shortly afterwards, Alex Cairns was forced into making a routine save after Freddie Ladapo’s effort at the near post.

The Cod Army had another chance on goal after some great play led to a Ross Wallace effort that was fired at goal but again it was blocked, this time by Ryan Edwards.

It was quite an open game after the first thirty minutes with both sides still looking to find an opener, in what were horrific conditions on the Fylde coast, but it was all square heading into the break.

Argyle got the second half underway, but it was Fleetwood Town who were able to create yet another opportunity. Evans teed up striker partner Madden, who saw his shot get deflected away from danger.

Rydel got his first start for Fleetwood and was showing his quality throughout. The youngster picked the ball up just inside his own half before driving forwards and delivering a brilliant cross, unfortunately no one could get on the end of it, much to the frustration of Town's head coach.

Town kept on creating and it was Wes Burns who tested Macey this time after some great play down the left between Rydel and Madden, with the latter providing Burns with the opportunity.

Plymouth reacted well to the pressure and kept possession well but were finding it difficult to break down the solid Fleetwood defence.

It wasn’t long though before the Cod Army had another chance and this time it was slotted home! Madden’s low cross provided Jason Holt with his first league goal this season.

Joey Barton then made a double change straight after the goal, with Ash Hunter and Ashley Nadesan replacing Madden and Ross Wallace.

It turned out to be a brilliant manoeuvre with Hunter making immediate impact, doubling the lead with a similar goal to Holt’s. He finished off Burn’s cross to make it 2-0.

A great victory at Highbury Stadium in what were difficult conditions means that Fleetwood Town are back to winning ways.

Fleetwood Town XI: Cairns (GK), Rydel (Husband 66'), Souttar, Eastham, Coyle; Holt, Sowerby, R. Wallace (Hunter 79’); Burns, Evans, Madden (Nadesan 79’).

Subs not used: Jones (GK), Husband, Biggins, Sheron, Baggley.

Plymouth Argyle XI: Macey (GK), Riley, Canavan, Edwards, Sawyer; Songo’o (Ness 60’) Fox (Jones 88’); Carey, Sarcevic, Lameiras (Taylor 70’); Ladapo.

Subs not used: Anderson, Smith-Brown, Wootton, Cooper.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account