Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town fall to a last-minute defeat on the road to Cambridge

13 January 2024

Match Reports

Report: Town fall to a last-minute defeat on the road to Cambridge

13 January 2024

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town fell to a heartbreaking last-minute defeat on Saturday afternoon as they lost their clash against Cambridge United 2-1 at the Cledara Abbey Stadium.

The game was decided by second-half goals as the hosts took the lead through their new signing Lyle Taylor before Promise Omochere nodded in the equaliser soon after – Cambridge would retake the lead 92 minutes in as Sulley Kaikai netted the winner.

The game started late down in Cambridge, due to supporters not being able to get to the ground early enough, and they were forced into another delay soon after kick-off as Phoenix Patterson went down needing treatment after a whack to the face.

Patterson was the centre of attention in the opening stages as, in the 12th minute, he had the first effort of the game when he forced Jack Stevens into a low save down to his left before Shaun Rooney’s header – a few minutes later – saw the same result.

With half an hour on the clock, after a quick game of pinball inside the Fleetwood box, the hosts worked their first chance as the ball eventually fell to the feet of Jack Lankester 18 yards out, but his shot flew well over Jay Lynch’s crossbar.

Adam’s side then had a decent spell ahead of the break as both Callum Dolan and Brendan Wiredu forged chances - the former fired wide of the mark from range and the latter drove down the length of the pitch and drilled it the wrong side of the post.

One final chance would come before the half, however, as Cambridge almost took the lead after Lankester took control of the ball just outside Town’s box and teed up a curling shot which hit the crossbar, with Lynch able to collect soon after.

With the second half underway 15 minutes later, it would have been fair to say Town started the better of the two as new signing Harry Boyes picked out Jayden Stockley, who headed wide, and then tried a powerful shot himself, which was saved.

Both sides seemed up for finding that all-important goal then as captain, Josh Vela, saw his looping header from close range be tapped over the bar by the goalkeeper before Lankester struck just wide of Lynch’s far post from inside the area.  

But it was the hosts who did find the back of the net and it was the new man, Taylor, who finished off a move started by former Cod Danny Andrew. The full-back picked out substitute Brandon Ndoku, and he indirectly found Taylor, who bundled it home.

That lead didn’t last long though as substitutes Omochere and Danny Mayor both were straight into the action - our number 10, now back from injury, found Stockley, who chipped a cross into the back post, and Omochere was there to nod into the net.

It was heartbreak at the end, once again for the Cods though, as Kaikai rifled an effort in at the back post in added time, not long after Ryan Bennett headed an effort into the post, meaning the hosts would take all three points on the afternoon.

Yellows XI: Stevens (GK), L.Bennett, Andrew, Digby, Morrison (C), R.Bennett, Brophy (Taylor 56’), Lankester (Rossi (90+5’), Kaikai, Kachunga (Njoku 70’) (May 90+5’), Cousins.

Unused subs: Mannion (GK), Okedina, Janneh.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Boyes, Wiredu, Lawal, Vela (C), Stockley, Heneghan, Dolan (Omochere 75’), Rooney, Earl, Patterson (Mayor 72’).

Unused subs: McMullan (GK), Johnston, Marriott, Holgate, Coughlan.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account