Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wiredu's strike salvages a point from Reading

13 February 2024

Match Reports

Report: Wiredu's strike salvages a point from Reading

13 February 2024

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town salvaged a point late in their Sky Bet League One clash against Reading on Tuesday evening thanks to a Brendan Wiredu equaliser with seconds to go.

It was a very tight game in terms of chances created and, when Lewis Wing whipped a wondergoal from 20 yards, it looked likely for the Royals to take all three points, but the stoppage-time equaliser meant the spoils would have to be shared.

With a valuable three points on the line, it was naturally a lively start to proceedings at Highbury, as both teams tried to assert their authority in the game early on. Striker Ronan Coughlan continued to cause a threat down the left-hand channel during the opening stages as Fleetwood tried to work the opening goal.

The tempo of the game was then pushed down a gear when Reading was forced into an early change, but Charlie Adam’s side saw no signs of stopping and nearly took the lead when Promise Omochere saw his powerful header saved from point-blank range.

Having enjoyed a positive opening spell, the Cod Army continued to offer a threat down both channels and, in the air, but soon had defensive work of their own to do when Elijah Campbell had to provide an important block at the back post to deny the visitors.

The away side was yet to properly trouble Jay Lynch in the Fleetwood goal but came close when the ball struck Harvey Knibbs and bounced narrowly over before Coughlan curled towards goal at the other end forcing David Button into a low stop just before half-time.

The first of the second half action saw Wing’s well-struck volley sting the hands of Lynch to give Town an early scare before Omochere must’ve thought he’d given Fleetwood the lead after heading towards goal minutes later. 

To the surprise of everyone inside Highbury Stadiumthe ball was judged to have not crossed the line past a scrambling Button in the Reading net, before Femi Azeez’s dangerous low cross nearly found its way in at the other end. 

With 30 minutes left to play, chances were now at a premium as Charlie Adam introduced Ryan Graydon into the mix after a battling performance from Omochere, with Ben Heneghan next to come closer with a saved header at the far post.

With time now running out, both Junior Quitirna and Ryan Broom were also brought on in an attempt to earn all three points, but a moment of magic at the other end saw Reading midfielder Wing curl first time into the top corner to give the away side the lead.

Having felt the heartache of going a goal down late on, Town pushed and managed to salvage something from the game when Wiredu arrived to fire in from inside the six-yard box in the dying embers to earn the Cods a share of the spoils.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Johnston, Boyes (Samuels 79’), Wiredu (C), Campbell, Kilkenny, Stockley, Heneghan, Omochere (Graydon 63’), Rooney (Broom 72’), Coughlan (Quitirna 72’).

Subs not used: McMullan (GK), Holgate, Patterson.

Reading XI: Button (GK), Mola, Knibbs, Savage, Azeez (Craig 85’), Mukairu (Elliott 57’), Ehibhatiomhan (Wareham 85’), Dorsett (Abrefa 6’) (Monlouis 86’), Bindon, Mbengue, Wing (C)

Subs not used: Pereira (GK), Rushesha.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account