Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town salvage a point on the road at Vale Park

27 February 2024

Match Reports

Report: Town salvage a point on the road at Vale Park

27 February 2024

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town salvaged a point in their latest Sky Bet League One clash against Port Vale on Tuesday evening.

Two goals in the last five minutes from substitute Jayden Stockley cancelled out the hosts’ lead – after goals by Jensen Weir and Ethan Chislett – from the first half at Vale Park.

Supporters didn’t have to wait for the first chance of the game as the hosts worked an effort 30 seconds in when Weir turned cleverly in the box, but a brilliant challenge from Ben Heneghan stopped him in his tracks.

Halfway through the first period, Vale’s number 20 did find the back of the net as he linked up with Baylee Dipepa on the edge of Town’s area, with Weir this time calmly slotting the ball into the bottom right breaking the deadlock.

Even though Promise Omochere and Bosun Lawal both worked efforts from range, it was Vale who went closest to scoring the next goal as Tom Sang’s whipped corner found the head of Alex Iacovitti, whose effort went just wide of the far post.

Chances clustered up at the end of the half as Omochere forced a low save from Connor Ripley and Ryan Broom’s effort was blocked by a crowded box before Chislett fired wide from close range for the hosts.

Vale then doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time from the penalty spot, and the cause of the spot kick was up for debate as the referee deemed Eli Campbell to have pulled Chislett down – Vale’s number 10 then converted.

Town came out the blocks the quicker of the two sides as they looked to halve the deficit with chances coming from Phoenix Patterson – who started his first game in six weeks – as well as substitute Stockley, but the score stayed the same.

Another chance showed itself on the hour mark as good tracking back from Ryan Graydon saw Fleetwood win the ball back on the halfway line, he then lobbed the ball over the top for Ronan Coughlan who forced a save from Ripley.

Both sides went for the next goal before time but it was Fleetwood who saw their efforts rewarded as a quickfire brace from Stockley right at the end of the game made it level with three minutes of added time to go.

That was all for the action as the referee blew the final whistle meaning the game against Wigan at the weekend is even more important as Town looks for points to help their survival hopes.

Vale XI: Ripley (GK), Jones, Sang, Lopata, Garrity (C), Chislett (Mighten 57’), Ojo (Lowe 57’), Iacovitti, Weir (Plant 84’), Dipepa (Loft 57’), Debrah.

Unused subs: Leutwiler (GK), Smith, Massey.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Johnston (Rooney 64’), Wiredu, Lawal, Campbell, Mayor, Broom (Graydon 46’), Heneghan, Omochere (Stockley 46’), Coughlan, Patterson.

Unused subs: McMullan (GK), Samuels, Lonergan, Holgate.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account