Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Wrens Ladies

Ladies First Team better Curzon Ashton in a seven-goal thriller

19 September 2023

Sponsored by

All three of our Fleetwood Town Wrens Ladies sides were in action at the weekend, with the First Team coming back to beat Curzon Ashton at Poolfoot Farm.

Kicking off this weekly report with the First Team and, as previously mentioned, they came back from 3-1 down at half-time to win 4-3 at the club’s training ground thanks to braces by Emily Jones and Sophie Slater.

The visitors started the game well and quickly asserted their dominance as they found the opener five minutes in. Even though the Wrens went toe-to-toe with Curzon, and equalised after 26 minutes, the side from Greater Manchester quickly reinstated their lead, netting two quickfire goals.

Coming out after the break with a two-goal deficit, it was all to do for the Ladies, but they came out the blocks the quicker of the two sides. In a ten-minute dominant spell, Fleetwood completely flipped the game on its head by scoring three vital goals.

After this point, it was all character and determination from the Ladies to see the game out and that they did, with Libby Walmsley making her debut in the game, and Jones was named Player of the Match after netting her two goals.

Moving on now, the Reserves had a weekend to forget as they fell to defeat in Morecambe as an uncharacteristic performance meant they were out of the clash early on at Galgate.

It was a poor start for the Ladies as Morecambe managed to get on the attack first and found themselves ahead in the opening minutes, but that was only the start with three more goals coming before the break meaning the score was 4-0 at half-time.

As the second half started, the Ladies continued to struggle to find any flow to their game and looked disjointed at times. Town’s Player of the Match, Ruby Farrell, did manage to create some good chances throughout the game, but the Ladies couldn’t seem to find any luck on the day.

Finally, the Development Squad were also in action at the weekend but seemed to have the same fate as the Reserves as Wigan Athletic managed to put six past them in what was a tough clash from the off.

Ruby Hindle managed to bag a brace in the first half but mistakes at the back meant the Wrens would go into the half a goal down, even after the top showing from the young forward.

Possession stats were on the side of Fleetwood, as they looked to find a way to bring the game back to level terms in the second half, and they even created multiple gilt-edged opportunities to do so, but Wigan stood stern and waited for their moments.

The Wrens threw the dice in at the end of the game as all players pushed for that crucial goal to bring them back into it, but this left gaps at the back and the Latics netted a few more, meaning the game was out of sight come the full-time whistle.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account