Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Three second half goals secure three points against Crewe

16 October 2021

Match Reports

Report: Three second half goals secure three points against Crewe

16 October 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town had a happy return from the international break as three second half goals from Callum Johnson, Danny Andrew, and Ged Garner was enough for the home side to collect all three points against Crewe Alexandra.

Fleetwood had several great chances to take the lead in the first half but due to a couple of good saves from Will Jaaskelainen and the post, the scores remained level at half-time.

Well-deserved goals from Johnson and another stunning free-kick from Andrew were the difference makers for Fleetwood in the second half, taking the game away from Crewe.

Fleetwood piled on the pressure early on as Callum Camps won a free-kick in a dangerous position that resulted in a corner. James Hill rose highest to win the header from the corner and came very close to grabbing the first goal of the game.

Town came even closer to opening the scoring as the ball ricocheted around in the box waiting to be tapped in but no player in a red strip could get there in time. From the resulting corner, both Danny Andrews and Camps forced good saves out of Jaaskelainen to once again, deny the home side the lead.

Ryan Edmondson was the next Fleetwood man to challenge Crewe’s number one, this time with a header from a few yards out, Jaaskelainen produced a fine save to deny Town’s forward.

There was a spell in the game where Crewe had the majority of possession, but Town prevented them from creating anything that seriously worried Alex Cairns. Robertson had a shot from distance that went wide of the goal but that was the extent of the visitor’s chances for the first half an hour.

Town ended the first half exactly how they started it, on the front foot. Andrew won his side a free-kick in injury time and he was the man to take it. The number three, looking to make it two goals in two league games, left the goalkeeper stranded but his effort rattled the post, which left the teams going into the break, level.

The home side came out of the second half in search of the opener, and they nearly found it through Dan Batty. His cross was left to go all the way through the crowd and unfortunately, it struck the post again, Biggins followed it up, but he was offside.

The hosts finally got their much-deserved goal, and it came from a Dan Batty corner. Johnson was the man who jumped higher than anyone else and his powerful header was too much for Crewe’s goalkeeper and it went straight down the middle of the net.

Andrew did make it two goals in two league games, with yet again another superb free-kick. Jay Matete was the man brought down just outside the D and Andrew did the rest, putting it over the wall into the top right corner.

Ged Garner finally found himself on the scoresheet after a great performance, with the last play of the game. A long ball over the top was chased down by Callum Morton who selflessly squared it to his teammate to put through Jaaskelainen’s legs to make it 3-0, just before the final whistle.

Town XI: Cairns (GK) (C), Andrew, Camps, Edmondson, (Morton 77’) G. Garner, Matete, Hill, Batty (McLaughlin 88’), Johnson, Biggins, Clark (Lane 68’)

Unused Subs: Crellin (GK), J. Garner, Lane, Conn-Clarke, Johnston

Crewe Alexandra XI: Jaaskelainen (GK), Adebisi, Thomas, Offord, Porter (Mandron 70’), Finney, McFadzean, Murphy (C) (Gomes 75’), Robertson, Kashet (Long 46’), Bennet

Unused Subs: Richards (GK), Ramsay, Lundstram, Daniels

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account