Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Camps and Garner goals secure all three points in Lincoln

2 March 2021

Match Reports

Report: Camps and Garner goals secure all three points in Lincoln

2 March 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town secured all three points in their clash against Lincoln City, which ended 2-1 at the LNER Stadium.

Ged Garner’s first-ever league goal opened the scoring on the night, and what a goal it was. He controlled the ball inside the opposition’s box and volleyed it home. Callum Camps also got on the score sheet in the second half and, even though Lincoln substitute Callum Morton got a goal, Town took the win in Lincolnshire.

Town came close in the opening minutes of the game when Wes Burns found space on the right-hand side. His low, driven cross into the area towards Kyle Vassell was headed clear by the diving Adam Jackson.

A couple of minutes later, the home side had their first chance to open the scoring when James Jones’ free-kick found the head of Regan Poole in a crowded penalty area, but he couldn’t direct his header on target.

The Cod Army threatened again in the early stages when Vassell flicked Dan Batty’s pass into the path of Camps, whose effort stung the gloves of goalkeeper Alex Palmer. Camps had a second attempt from range a few minutes later, but this time was unable to find the target.

At the other end, Anthony Scully came close to finding the net when he received the ball from Morgan Rogers. His strike from the edge of the box curled just over the top of Alex Cairns’ goal.

Burns almost scored his second goal in two games when he got in behind the Lincoln defence from the right-wing. Unfortunately for Fleetwood, he wasn’t able to replicate Saturday’s goal and his shot was saved at the near post by the feet of Palmer.

Moments later, Batty spotted the run of Vassell who came close to breaking the deadlock, forcing Palmer into a smart save.

After a wave of attacks, Fleetwood finally opened the scoring. Garner latched onto a loose ball 12-yards from goal before unleashing a volley and finding the far corner to give his side the lead at the break.

After the break, Camps doubled Town’s lead. Batty played a neat one-two with Garner before finding the midfielder, who fired into the roof of the net.

Wes Burns came close for the Cod Army just before the hour mark. His optimistic long-range effort flew straight into the gloves of Palmer.

With 20 minutes to play, the hosts halved the deficit when Morton chased down a long pass over the top before slotting the ball past Alex Cairns.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew, Connolly (C), Burns, Camps, Rossiter, Vassell (Madden 85'), Batty, Garner (Saunders 85'), Hill, Rydel (Donacien 81).

Unused subs: Coleman (GK), Duffy, Holgate, S.Morris.

Lincoln XI: Palmer (GK), Poole (Eyoma 62), Jackson, Montsma, Edun (Bramall 62), Jones (Sanders 70), McGrandles, Johnson, Rogers, Scully (Morton 62), Hopper.

Unused subs: Long (GK), Sanders, Archibald, Roughan.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account