Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood play out goalless draw against Lincoln

17 October 2020

Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood play out goalless draw against Lincoln

17 October 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town played valiantly in a goalless draw against Lincoln City at Highbury Stadium on Saturday.

Charlie Mulgrew came off the bench to make his debut for the club as both sides created chances throughout the game but neither side was able to find the breakthrough.

The first chance of the game fell to the visitors as Harry Anderson runs through the Fleetwood midfield and played a through ball to James Jones, but his effort went just past the far post.

Fleetwood almost found a way through the Lincoln defence shortly after as Harvey Saunders was seemingly through on goal but collided with a rushing Alex Palmer. The referee flagged for a Lincoln free-kick.

Town came close in the 15 minutes into the game as Ched Evans ran down the left-wing, cut back, and whipped a cross into a packed box but Adetayo Edun calmly played the ball back to the Lincoln goalkeeper.

Two minutes later James Hopper received the ball on the edge of the Fleetwood box and tried his luck with his left foot, but Harrison Holgate did well and got in the way before clearing.

The game started to open as Lincoln pressed forward in the 25th minute. Anderson drove towards the Fleetwood goal and tried to catch Jayson Leutwiler out at his near post, but Town’s goalkeeper was a match – pushing it to safety.

Just after the half-hour mark, Paul Coutts found Callum Camps around 30-yards out and the midfielder fought off his marker before striking the ball towards goal, but the effort went just wide.

With five minutes to go in the first-half, Saunders looped a cross towards the back post and Paddy Madden rose highest and headed the ball against the crossbar.

Lincoln came out the stronger team in the second half and had the first chance after the break as Brennan Johnson drove towards the Fleetwood backline, he cut onto his left foot and forced a save out of Leutwiler.

The keeper was called into action again just after as Hopper played a short pass to Jones who worked a yard of space and forced a diving save with his right-footed strike. Hooper had a chance seconds later but Leutwiler was on hand yet again.

The game was majorly played in the middle of the park until the 78th minute when Wes Burns dribbled past his marker, crossed the ball towards the back post where Evans headed just wide.

Fleetwood almost caught Lincoln out on the counter-attack with seven minutes to go as Burns drilled the ball across the box, but a small touch from a defender takes it out the path of Barrie McKay. He then played the ball back to Whelan who couldn’t get his shot off.

The final chance of the game fell to Town as substitute Mulgrew as he hit his free-kick from 20-yards on target, but Palmer got down well to save the effort.

Town XI: Leutwiler (GK), Andrew, Whelan, Burns, Evans, Camps, Coutts (C), Madden (McKay 62’), Saunders (J.Morris 62’), Stubbs (Mulgrew 39’), Holgate.

Subs not used: Cairns (GK), Duffy, Hill, Matete.

Lincoln XI: Palmer (GK), Montsma, Edun, Jones, Hopper (Scully 71’), Grant (McGrandles 86’), Walsh, Johnson, Eyoma, Bridcutt (C), Anderson.

Subs not used: Ross (GK), Archibald, Soule, Gotts, Roughan.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account