Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Under 18s complete comeback to beat Port Vale in Staffordshire

29 November 2020

Match Reports

Report: Under 18s complete comeback to beat Port Vale in Staffordshire

29 November 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town’s Under 18s carried on their recent unbeaten streak as they managed to beat Port Vale 3-2 in Staffordshire on Friday afternoon.

Simon Wiles’ side started out the better side, using the width of the pitch to their advantage, pushing the full-backs up and creating opportunities from the wings.

The first chance came from Ben Thompson after he found Joe Collins with a ball over the top, but the forward’s half-volley was saved by the goalkeeper.

Soon after, Town had another chance to open the scoring on the day as Sam Bird drove into the final third and played a brilliant ball across the field to Billy Batch whose shot went just over the bar.

Even though the young Cods were controlling the game, they found themselves one goal down midway through the first half as a mix-up at the back post between Conor Eastham and Lewis Patterson left space for the Vale forward to tap home.

Fleetwood reacted well to this and instantly got back on the attacking foot as the side had multiple gilt-edged chances to make the game level through Enoch Takpe, Joe Collins, and Sam Barratt but none of them could finish off their individual moves.

Port Vale doubled their lead thirty minutes in as they played the ball out wide, cut it back, and even though Josh Feeney went to clear, the ball was struck against him, which then flew into the back of the net, past Eastham.

Town managed to pull one back just before the break though, halving the deficit, as the ball found its way to Thompson from a set-piece, he then swung the ball into Barratt who scored from close range, making the game 2-1.

After the break, Fleetwood maintained the momentum in the game and levelled up the scoreline in the 47th minute and it was more good play from the wings. Thompson found Bird on the right, who whipped the ball into the box, and even though the defender got a touch, it guided it into the path of Takpe who passed the ball easily past the goalkeeper.

The comeback was complete with 25 minutes to go as another corner was met by Barratt inside the six-yard box again, this time scoring with his header which went in off the crossbar.

A few changes helped settle the game down after this as Shaun Sithole and Covy Smith both entered the pitch and could have even added to the three goals the side had already scored. Batch also had a right-footed effort saved with Smith having the last chance of the game just before the end, but his strike went just over the bar.

The Under 18s showed great character coming back from two goals down, picking up all three points, and will look to add to this win on Tuesday when they face Tranmere in the Youth Alliance.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account