Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Fleetwood start pre-season with a win

11 August 2020

Club News

Report: Fleetwood start pre-season with a win

11 August 2020

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town started their pre-season with a 4-2 win over Carlisle United at Poolfoot Farm on Tuesday afternoon.

The Cod Army came out of their first game victors after goals from Ched Evans, Shayden Morris, a trialist and an own goal from a Carlisle defender.

The game saw the highly-anticipated debut of midfielder Callum Camps, who impressed in his first time in a Fleetwood shirt, had a 45-minute run out at Fleetwood's training complex.

Fleetwood had the first chance of the game after just two minutes as captain Paul Coutts crossed the ball into a packed box from a corner, but Evans fouled the goalkeeper as he went for a shot.

The visiting side then went down to the other end of the pitch and Josh Kayode managed to place the ball past Alex Cairns to give his side the lead.

The Cod Army then seemed to dominate the game, with their next chance coming just four minutes after the opening goal. Paddy Madden picked up the ball just outside the Carlisle area and tried his luck, but his shot went high and wide of the target.

A couple of minutes later, Evans played Madden through, so he was one-on-one with Joe Fryer, but his effort went just wide of the far post.

Fleetwood continued to the pressure, and in the 11th minute, Barry Baggley made a through run on the left-hand side before crossing the ball into the box, but Evans’ shot was saved.

Carlisle almost added to their tally halfway through the first-half as a cross was played across goal to a trialist, whose shot was blocked off the line and cleared.

The game was levelled up just before the break as Evans battled off the defenders in the Carlisle box, and managed to beat the keeper to a looped cross and put Fleetwood on level terms.

In the 42nd minute, the away side had the last chance of the half as Josh Mellish had a yard of space and placed the ball into the bottom right-corner, leaving Joey Barton’s side one down at the half.

Fleetwood came out the blocks, just like they did in the first half, and quickly levelled the game for the second time as Ged Garner - who returned to the club on trial in an attempt to earn a new contract after his summer release - played the ball into the Carlisle box, where a defender put the ball in his own net.

Just before the hour mark, Fleetwood took the lead as Garner peeled off his marker on the left-side of the box before striking the ball into the bottom corner, past Magnus Norman.

The Cod Army extended their lead ten minutes later as Morris was played through by a brilliant ball from a trialist and he calmly pushed off the marking defender and slotted the ball into the bottom left corner.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Trialist, Rydel, Baggley, Holgate, Burns, Evans, Camps, J.Morris, Coutts, Madden.

Town bench: Trialist (GK), Hill, Biggins, Sowerby, Southam-Hales, Johnson, Trialist, Matete, Saunders, S.Morris, Trialist.

Carlisle XI: Fryer (GK), Tanner, Anderton, Devine, Hunt, Trialist, Guy, Alessandra, Mellish, McDonald, Kayode.

Carlisle bench: Norman (GK), Riley, Reilly, Charters, Barnes, Birch, Armstrong, Lightfoot, Trialist, Trialist.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account