Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town fall to defeat on the final day of the season

4 May 2019

Match Reports

Report: Town fall to defeat on the final day of the season

4 May 2019

Sponsored by

It was a frustrating evening in Buckinghamshire for Fleetwood Town as they left Adams Park with nothing on the final day of the season, losing 1-0 away at Wycombe Wanderers.

In a match that saw both teams have their chances, it was a set-piece that opened the deadlock, with Joe Jacobson scoring from his own corner on the right-hand side. 

Ash Hunter and Paddy Madden went close for the Cod Army, and if it wasn't for Ryan Allsop between the sticks, it might have been a different story. With a number of young players making their EFL debut for the club, there were some positive for Joey Barton.

Wycombe got the first chance of the game, after just two minutes, when Scott Kashket managed to beat the offside trap before looping an effort over Alex Cairns, however Wes Burns was able to get back to clear the danger.

Fleetwood Town responded well, with Ashley Nadesan bursting through the Chairboys’ defence - brushing past Adam El-Abd, before hitting a left-footed shot across the goalmouth but Allsop easily collected the weak attempt.

Town continued to cause the hosts problems and this time it was Hunter. The young Englishman found space on the edge of the 18-yard-box and unleashed a brilliant curling effort but Allsop was able to pull off a great save to stop it from hitting the back of the net.

Wycombe were handling Fleetwood well, allowing the Cod Army possession but cutting off any opportunities to go forwards. The game remained this way in the first-half for some time until the hosts were awarded a free-kick, in the 32nd minute.

Jason McCarthy stepped over the free-kick and struck it from 25-yards, the ball ricocheted off the foot of the post and out for a goal kick, but it looked as though Cairns had it covered. Nothing could separate the two teams heading into the break at half-time.

Fleetwood came out in the second half knowing they needed to improve on their first half performance. The team continued to keep possession well and after a quick free-kick, Hunter saw an opportunity to hit one, but his effort flew into the stands.

In the 59th minute, Madden had a massive opportunity to open the scoring after Nadesan picked him out with a pull-back, but the Irishman couldn’t keep his effort down and saw it fly over the crossbar.

A minute later and the hosts had a great chance at the other end, but Cairns showed great speed to get off his line to deny Alex Samuel from inside the area.

Madden had another great chance after Burns’ pass found him inside the area, but once again the striker was denied by Allsop who pulled off a good save, to deny him from his 20th goal in all competitions.

Against the run of play, Wycombe found themselves 1-0 up after Jacobson’s corner found its way into the back of the net.

Fleetwood were now in search of an equaliser and almost immediately found it. Coyle was able to find Hunter, unmarked in the area, but again his effort was fired over the crossbar to the despair of the Cod Army fans behind the goal.

Town had another chance to find an equaliser, after Burns linked up with Madden once again. This time Madden could only slide his effort wide of the target, much to the frustration of the Irishman.

In the 85th minute, Madden connected well with a cross into the area, heading it goal wards from close range but again Allsop was equal to it.

Unfortunately, Fleetwood’s last game this season ended in defeat however despite the result, Macauley Southam-Hales made his league debut, alongside Dan Mooney – rounding off a season with youth involvement on the pitch.

Fleetwood Town XI: Cairns (GK), Coyle (C), Eastham, Burns (Mooney 90’), Madden, Hunter, Wallace, Nadesan (Southam-Hales 84’), Husband, Biggins (Baggley 84’), Sowerby.

Subs not used: Jones (GK), Clarke, Hill, Smith.

Wycombe XI: Allsop (GK), Jacobson, Gape, El-Abd (C), Bean (Owens 74’), Bloomfield, Kashket (Bolton 63’), Harriman, Akinfenwa, Samuel (Freeman 90’), McCarthy.

Subs not used: Ma-Kalambay (GK), Stewart, Cowan-Hall, Frempah.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account