Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Extra time goal sends Town through in the FA Youth Cup

14 November 2017

Club News

Extra time goal sends Town through in the FA Youth Cup

14 November 2017

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town U18s progress to the third round of the FA Youth Cup after beating Tamworth 2-1 after extra-time.

Jack Bishop added to Liam Collings’ 80th minute penalty, which cancelled out Chandler Pegg’s hooked shot. 

The first chance of the game came when Kyle Hayden thought he had a one versus one with Town goalkeeper Turner, but the linesman had already flagged him for offside.

Sam O’Halleron, who replaced the suspended Alex Dodd from the first-round triumph at Guiseley, got the away side’s first chance as he tested Aidan Jeynes, but the Tamworth goalkeeper did well and saved easily.

After 17 minutes, Jack Bishop tried to thread Connor Finlayson through on goal, but Harrison James stopped him with a perfectly timed tackle before the Town striker could get a shot.

With Town upping the tempo of the game more space opened up, and Finlayson took his chance by running past a Tamworth defender before setting up O’Halleron who failed to convert.

Minutes later, Liam Collings took advantage of an unaware Tamworth defence by sending a piercing pass to Finlayson just inside the box but after laying the ball on his right foot the upcoming shot got blocked by a defender.

With the away side getting pushed further back, Collings was yet again the one who tried to set up Finlayson on the shoulder of the offside line, but the Town striker missed the ball.

Having been in control for most of the first half, Tamworth got their first real chance of the game after James found Chandler Pegg with a precise cross, but the header from the winger went wide.

Just before half-time, Sam Walton blasted a shot over the bar before Hayden got to a rebound from only 10 yards, his strike was deflected out for a corner.

After 56 minutes, Tamworth got the lead after Chandler Pegg’s first cross from an acute angle dropped over Turner and inside the far post.

Town tried to hit back immediately with Ben Donnelly-Blackburn trying to pick out O’Halleron in the box, but Jeynes rushed out to catch it.

Dominic Kerrigan did well to get to the line after being set up by substitute Owen Bridge, but the upcoming cross got blocked to a corner just before the right wing back got to the first post.

Then Tamworth got their first proper chance when Hayden got past substitute Gregory McCaragher on the right-hand side and finished from close range, with Turner showing excellent reflexes to save the shot.

Captain Ben Unsworth was unlucky to receive his second yellow after tripping Mpofu on his way through on goal, leaving Town with ten men for the last 35 minutes.

On the following free-kick, goal scorer Pegg was close to doubling his digits after his strike from almost 40 yards was saved by Turner in full stretch.

After fighting hard to get back in the game, Ryan Rydel dribbled his way into the penalty area before being clipped, and received a penalty from referee Watson.

Liam Collings stepped up to the penalty spot and showed great composure to put the ball in the right corner, with ten minutes to spare.

Finlayson tried to get into his side in the lead after attempting a blast from 25 yards with the ball going wide.

In the fourth minute of extra time Tamworth went on a counter, following a failed Town corner, with the attack being stopped in the end by a cruciate tackle from Alkeo Bani.

With the game reaching almost 98 minutes, nothing could separate the sides and Town went yet again into extra-time.

Three minutes into extra-time saw Pegg force yet another beautiful save out of Turner, with the Town goalkeeper just getting his hands to the shot.

Town pushed up many men just before the break of extra-time and got the lead after Kerrigan got a cross to Rydel in the middle, with the shot being saved by Jeynes only for the rebound to be struck in the back of the net by Jack Bishop.

Just after the start of the last 15 minutes, Bridge looked to increase the lead with a shot that eventually got saved by Jeynes.

Town then got three massive chances in a row after Bishop got through on goal, with Jeynes saving the first attempt and Bridge unable to convert two rebounds in a row from close range.

Tamworth XI: Jeynes, Kennedy, James, Walton (Florence, 99), Maphosa, Hackett, Pegg, Hetherington, Hayden, Faulder (Robinson, 59), Mpofu.

Town XI: Turner, Kerrigan (Hill, 105), Donnelly-Blackburn, Bani, Unsworth, Mashigo (Bridge, 65), Collings, Bishop, Finlayson, O’Halleron (McCaragher, 65), Rydel.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account