Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town lose away from home for first time since November

8 April 2017

Match Reports

Report: Town lose away from home for first time since November

8 April 2017

Sponsored by

Fleetwood suffer away defeat at Oldham

Fleetwood Town lost away from home for the first time since November last year after slipping to a 2-0 defeat against Oldham Athletic.

A goal in each half – a Nathan Pond own goal and a Lee Erwin strike – was enough for all three points for the Latics who themselves continue a strong home record under manager John Sheridan.

Town boss Uwe Rosler made four changes to the side that beat Oxford on Wednesday evening. Nathan Pond, George Glendon, Markus Schwabl and Martyn Woolfood came into the side – the latter featuring for the first time since November. For Oldham, former Town striker Aaron Holloway led the line up front.

It was to be Woolford who was at the heart of the action in the opening exchanges. His cross-come-shot was well taken by Connor Ripley in the Latics goal inside the first minute.

Oldham rallied and won a corner, where Captain Peter Clarke’s shot was blocked by Holloway and it went harmlessly out for a goal kick.

David Ball went down the other end of the field and finished off a slick counter attack with a tester for Ripley at his near post. It was well saved in the end.

Somehow Lee Erwin missed from a couple of yards out as Ryan McLaughlin – brother of Conor – crossed to the front post. Not one he’ll want to see again.

Then came the key moment of the first half. McLaughlin again got down the right hand side and his cross wasn’t met by Erwin this time. It was to be Pond who was unfortunate as his clearance flew into his own net.

The Cod Army battled back into the game in the form of Hunter who was hauled down by Anthony Gerrard. The home defender rightly booked by the referee Nigel Miller.

Alex Cairns produced a wonderful diving save from Ollie Banks’ 25 yard free-kick to ensure that Fleetwood went in just one down at the break.

Rosler turned to Joe Maguire at the break – who came on a replaced Schwabl and with it a change of formation to 3-5-2.

The change of formation seem to initially do the trip. Hunter’s cross wasn’t dealt with by Ripley and on the spin Ball just turned his shot wide – this was only a matter of seconds into the half.

Then the killer moment of the game. A long ball was pumped into Fleetwood’s box, Holloway chested it down and fed Erwin who – on the turn – fired past Cairns.

Despite being two down, Bobby Grant had a couple of great chances in the last 20 minutes but was unable to direct any of them on target.

Cian Bolger was forced off late on, meaning Town ended the game with just ten men after Wes Burns and Kyle Dempsey were introduced.

Town will look to bounce back on Good Friday when they travel to Peterborough.

Oldham: Ripley (GK); McLaughlin, Gerrard, Clarke (c), Wilson; Taylor, Banks, Fane, Green; Holloway, Erwin. Subs: Law, O’Neill, Flynn, Croft, Ngoo, Edmundson, Obadeyi.

Fleetwood: Cairns (GK); McLaughlin, Pond (c), Bolger, Davies; Glendon, Schwabl, Grant; Hunter, Ball, Woolford. Subs: Urwin (GK), Brannagan, Eastham, Burns, Sowerby, Dempsey, Maguire.

Referee: Mr N Miller 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account