Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season Review: August

16 May 2016

Sponsored by

Town drew 1-1 against Southend on the opening day

With the 2015/16 Sky Bet League One campaign ending last weekend against Crewe Alexandra, we take a look back at the season as the Cod Army retained their status in the third tier.

Town hosted new boys Southend United on the opening day of the league season as Phil Brown’s men made the long trip north from Essex.

Declan McManus, signed from Aberdeen in the summer, netted the Cod Army’s first goal of the campaign with a 25 yard thunderbolt which flew into the top corner.

Despite having further chances to extend the lead through Jamille Matt and McManus, the Shrimpers equalised via David Worrall with just six minutes to play.

There was to be disappointment three days later when Hartlepool United claimed a narrow victory at Highbury to progress to the second round of the Capital One Cup.

Billy Paynter’s second half header ensured Pools’ passage into the next round, and despite Bobby Grant rattling the bar in stoppage time there was no way through for Town.

The Cod Army were beaten by a narrow goal in their next league game away to Oldham Athletic, as Danny Philliskirk’s strike proved the difference.

Missed opportunities cost Graham Alexander’s side once again, as Antoni Sarcevic and McManus both squandered chances.

A seven goal thriller was then played out at Bury’s Gigg Lane, as Fleetwood beat the Greater Manchester outfit 4-3.

Leon Clarke put the Shakers ahead early on, but Conor McLaughlin replied soon after before Tom Soares restored the lead for the home side almost immediately.

Tyler Forbes then equalised on the half hour mark, and goals in the second half from Jamie Proctor and Sarcevic put Town in a commanding position, before Danny Rose hit a consolation.

Fleetwood recorded their first win on home soil in the following game as they hit four once again to hammer Colchester United at Highbury.

Two goals in the space of two minutes midway through the first period from Jimmy Ryan and David Ball gave the comfortable cushion heading into the break.

Proctor made it three just after the interval, and substitute Jamille Matt netted his first goal since returning from a lengthy injury late on.

August ended in defeat however as Doncaster Rovers were 2-0 winners over Town in glorious sunshine at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Rovers started the game lively and James Coppinger headed home a free kick on 17 minutes, with Curtis Main doubling the advantage seven minutes later.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account