Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth report: Fleetwood Town 1-1 Port Vale

20 February 2016

Sponsored by

Youth team were denied three points late on

Fleetwood Town’s U18s side had to settle for a share of the spoils in the North West Youth Alliance League following a 1-1 draw with Port Vale at Lytham Cricket Club on Saturday morning.

Michael Tetteh opened up the scoring just after the half-hour makr for Nathan Rooney’s youngsters with a well-timed solo effort.

As full time approached, Town were pegged back in the cruellest of ways after Mackenzie Faulkner diverted the ball into the back of the net from close-range.

Ahead of the fixture against the Staffordshire outfit, Rooney named an unchanged team to the one that suffered defeat away at Bury last time out.

In an even start to proceedings on the Fylde Coast, Fleetwood created their first chance of the game when midfielder Liam Wood cut inside from the right and forced Vale keeper Joe Slinn to tip his rasping effort over the crossbar.

Shortly after, Town were very nearly made to pay after Wes Nelson brought down his man in the penalty area after 15 minutes.

Fortunately, Elliot Wynne was on hand to keep Town on level terms, guessing correctly to keep out Daniel Turner’s spot-kick from 12-yards.

Turner again missed a guilt edged chance to net first, when he shot narrowly wide of the post in what was a real let off for Fleetwood.

Louis Myers was next to try his luck in-front of goal, though he could only find the grasp of Slinn from his drilled free-kick.

Just after the half-hour mark, Town had the goal they had been looking for, courtesy of midfielder Tetteh.

The move which led to the goal started when play dropped to Tetteh after Fleetwood cleared their lines from a Vale free-kick.

The midfielder embarked on an unmarked surging run towards goal, before arrowing the ball into the far corner beyond the dive of Slinn.

Wynne had to be alert in the closing moments of the first half, getting down well to his left to smother a long-range shot.

When play resumed, Fleetwood started on the stronger foot, Mamadou Djabi and Tetteh both going close but their efforts on goal were to no avail.

Wynne again came to Fleetwood’s rescue when he comfortably held onto a dipping free-kick, while also palming a difficult effort away from goal.

In the 88th minute, Vale had the final say as they levelled the scores in a harsh moment for Town.

After making two superb saves from close range, Wynne was finally beaten after a corner had ricochet off the post and found its way into the path of Faulkner who prodded home.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account