Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Fleetwood Town 2-1 Scunthorpe United

20 February 2016

Fleetwood Town 2-1 Scunthorpe United

Fleetwood Town picked up a vital three points at home to Scunthorpe United this afternoon as first half goals from Ash Hunter and Bobby Grant proved the difference in a 2-1 win.

Hunter deservedly gave his side the lead on 16 minutes when he exquisitely lobbed keeper Luke Daniels after being played in by Jimmy Ryan.

Grant doubled the advantage on the half hour mark as he connected with a cross from the left to glance a header beyond the dive of Daniels.

Paddy Madden then halved the deficit on 70 minutes as he converted a penalty after Stephen Jordan was adjudged to have fouled Tom Hopper in the area.

Steven Pressley made two changes to his side for the visit of the Iron, with Ryan returning to the midfield and Hunter starting up front with Grant and Shola Ameobi.

Town started positively and created a couple of early openings; Ameobi going the closest with an opportunity that deflected wide at the front post.

Ryan was the next to be involved, as he picked the ball up in midfield and drove an effort wide of Daniels’ far post from distance.

Iron striker Madden then squandered a golden chance for the visitors, as he shot straight at Chris Maxwell from inside the six yard box.

The Cod Army went ahead on the quarter hour mark as Ryan fed Hunter down the right, and he delightfully lobbed Townsend for his fourth league goal of the campaign.

In response, the experienced Gary McSheffrey curled an inviting free kick around the wall which Maxwell held comfortably low down.

Grant made it two for Town on 30 minutes when he glanced a near post header past the dive of Daniels after meeting a cross from the left.

Hunter was a bright spark at the start of the second period, and beat his man before striking off target from long range.

The youngster was in on the act again, and nearly turned provider for Amari’i Bell when he broke into the box and crossed for the left back, but he shot wide.

Madden was proving a threat for the Iron, and went close at the back post but Town managed to clear the goalmouth scramble.

United were offered a route back into the game with 20 minutes remaining as Stephen Jordan brought down Tom Hopper in the box and the referee pointed to the spot.

Madden stepped up to take the resulting spot kick and sent Maxwell the wrong way to halve the deficit for the Lincolnshire outfit.

Ameobi later went a whisker away from opening his Cod Army tally when his shot from a tight angle just crept past the post.

Substitute Wes Burns was later introduced to the action with 10 minutes remaining, and created an instant impact as he forced Daniels to beat away a curled strike.

Ryan and Ameobi had late opportunities but Town will now look to build on the win with an important League One match at Rochdale on Tuesday night.

Advertisement block