Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Coventry City 1-2 Fleetwood Town

27 February 2016

Sponsored by

Coventry City 1-2 Fleetwood Town

Fleetwood Town picked up a crucial three points at the Ricoh Arena this afternoon as David Ball’s thunderous late drive sealed victory.

Wes Burns put the Cod Army ahead ten minutes into the second half as he met Ball’s sublime cross to head past Reice Charles-Cook from close range.

Sky Blue substitute Marcus Tudgay then levelled things up on 75 minutes as he beat Chris Maxwell from inside the box after being played in by Adam Armstrong.

But Ball put Town back in front with seven minutes remaining as he rifled an effort into the top corner from 20 yards.

Pressley made five changes for the game against the Sky Blues, as Victor Nirennold, Joe Davis, Amari’i Bell, Ball and Burns were all handed starts.

Armstrong had the game’s first chance when he picked the ball up in the middle but shot over Maxwell’s goal from distance.

And it was Armstrong again who had an effort shortly after, as James Maddison laid the ball off to him on the edge of the box but he struck over.

For Town, Ash Hunter raced on to a ball over the top which he played inside for Ball, but the striker failed to test Charles-Cook.

The Sky Blues were creating openings but were restricted to long range efforts; Romain Vincelot was the next to have a go but shot straight at Maxwell.

Bell was causing a threat down the left for the visitors with his pace, and his deflected cross hit his own player in the box but Charles-Cook just did enough to stop it from going in.

Ball and Hunter were combing well up front, and the latter very nearly tested Charles-Cook with a driven effort that was blocked by Jack Stephens.

Maxwell then had to be alert to keep out Chris Stokes’ glancing header, as the left back met Maddison’s corner at the front post.

Pressley’s side were on top towards the end of the first period, and big shouts for a penalty on Ball were waved away by referee David Coote.

Maddison went close for the hosts at the beginning of the second half, as his curled effort went just past the post from the edge of the box.

But it was Pressley’s men who took the lead on 55 minutes when Burns expertly directed Ball’s pinpoint cross past Charles-Cook from close range.

Town were on top and could have doubled their advantage soon after when Hunter cut in from the right but was thwarted by Charles-Cook.

Hunter made way for Devante Cole midway through the second half, and was presented with an immediate chance on the edge of the box which Charles-Cook saved.

Tudgay equalised with 15 minutes remaining as he beat Maxwell from inside the box after being played in by Armstrong.

Ball put his side back in front late on however as he struck a thunderous effort into the top corner from 20 yards.

Photo courtesy of Camera Sport

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account