Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Morecambe Youth 2-3 Fleetwood Town Youth

5 September 2015

Mamadou Djabi netted the winner in the 90th minute

A late winner from Mamadou Djabi proved decisive as Fleetwood Town’s youth team came out on top in a five goal thriller away at Morecambe on Saturday morning.

Jake Townsend had initially given the Shrimps the lead very early into the game, before goals from Andy Smith and Jordan Hancox turned the contest the way of the visitors before the interval.

Ben Hedley equalised for Morecambe after 87 minutes, only for Djabi to snatch the win for Fleetwood in the dying embers of the encounter.

Prior to the fixture, Town went into the game with an unbeaten league record but fell behind with just three minutes played courtesy of Townsend’s opener.

Townsend received a pass from Nathan Bondswell before embarking on a mazy run, which culminated in the midfielder drilling the ball into the far corner beyond the dive of Max Johnstone.

Not to be deterred, Fleetwood immediately went on the search of an equalising goal, however despite roaming forward, skipper Smith couldn’t keep his long-range effort under the crossbar.

Smith again provided an attacking threat for Town, and after a corner dropped to him inside the penalty area, the defender unleashed a powerful effort which was only denied by a valiant stop by keeper Max Povey.

Povey’s opposite number, Max Johnstone, had to be on his guard to keep Fleetwood in the game, making two smart saves as the hosts went in search of a second goal.

Djabi was next to try his luck for Fleetwood, with the forward wriggling beyond his marker but seeing his daisy-cutter effort go narrowly wide.

Soon enough, Town would find the goal that they had craved with 35 minutes on the clock, as Smith was left unmarked at the far post to head home a free-kick.

The Cod Army made it two three minutes before the break, when Hancox connected with Michael Tetteh’s teasing ball to bravely steer Rooney’s side into the lead.

With the second-half underway, Town came under pressure from their Morecambe counterparts and had to remain strong at the back to thwart any danger that ultimately would go their way.

Morecambe threw caution to the wind in search of a leveller, and were rewarded in the 87th minute of the game with Hedley on target.

Hedley connected with a lofted pass up field, to scoop the ball over the static Johnstone to restore parity in a Lancashire derby.

Djabi though would score what proved to be Fleetwood’s winner on 90 minutes, weaving his way past the home beck-line before playing a neat one-two which sent him one-on-one with Povey and coolly slotting home.

The young Codlings had to face mounting pressure in stoppage time, but hung onto claim the three-points.


Advertisement block