Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Wigan Athletic (A)

19 September 2015

Wigan Athletic 2-1 Fleetwood Town

Despite dominating large spells of the second half, Fleetwood Town were unable to turn their possession into goals as they fell to defeat at the DW Stadium.

Jordan Flores put the Latics ahead just before the interval, when Michael Jacobs burst down the right and played the ball back to Flores, who fired home on the half volley.

Jacobs himself doubled the advantage for the home side immediately after the break, as he coolly slotted home a cross from the left.

Tyler Forbes pulled one back for the Cod Army on the hour, when he volleyed Antoni Sarcevic’s deflected free kick past Richard O’Donnell.

With Conor McLaughlin and Danny Andrew absent through injury, Graham Alexander brought Eggert Jonsson and Stephen Jordan back into the side.

Midfielder Bobby Grant was also given the nod in midfield, as he replaced Lyle Della-Verde who dropped to the bench after a recent run of five games in the team.

Flores had the game’s first real attempt, when his curling effort from just outside the area was held by Chris Maxwell in the Town goal.

In response, Jamie Proctor did well in the middle of the field to beat a couple of challenges, but his long range strike was weak.

Both sides were limited to shots from distance during the opening stages, with Max Power the next to have a go as he tested Maxwell.

The home side later burst down the left through Reece James, who pulled the ball back to Jordy Hiwula in the box but he failed to connect cleanly from a good position.

Hiwula was guilty of missing a great chance for the Latics on the half hour mark, when he volleyed Michael Jacobs’ cross over at the near post.

Grant then showed some nice touches for Town in midfield and hit a deflected effort which went just wide of O’Donnell’s goal.

Flores opened the scoring for the Latics six minutes before the interval when he half volleyed past Maxwell from inside the box after Jacobs had cut the ball back.

Midfielder Jacobs added a second for Gary Caldwell’s men just a minute after the break, as he slotted home a low cross from the left.

Graham Alexander opted to change things after Town went two behind, and introduced David Ball and Nick Haughton for Jamille Matt and Eggert Jonsson respectively.

Forbes reduced the arrears on the hour mark as Sarcevic’s deflected free kick fell into his path, and he volleyed past O’Donnell from close range.

The goal had given Town a lift, and Proctor had an opportunity to draw level but headed Ball’s cross just over at the back post.

Alexander’s men continued to pressure their opponents, with Proctor and Jordan both seeing efforts blocked in a game of pinball inside the Wigan box.

Jacobs had an opportunity for the Latics at the back post, as he rose highest to meet Reece James’ corner but could only head straight at Maxwell.

In an attempt to find an elusive equaliser, Scottish striker Declan McManus came on for Proctor with seven minutes to play.

With the game deep into stoppage time, Town’s second half efforts were almost rewarded but Ball hit the outside of the post in a goalmouth scramble.

Advertisement block