Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Season review: February

12 May 2015

Town took the scalp of Barnsley at Oakwell

Fleetwood’s February would commence with a 2-0 defeat away at tabble toppers Bristol City.

On-loan striker Matt Smith opened the scoring for Steve Cotterill’s side with 52 minutes played, as he bundled the ball home from close range.

Smith’s strike-partner, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, completed the scoring after he raced clear unchallenged to coolly slot home late on.

The next game in the month would see Mark Roberts become the hero of the hour, as he salvaged a point for Fleetwood late into the game in a 1-1 draw against Peterborough United.

Roberts’ header had cancelled out Joe Newell’s 64th minute opener for Posh, with the Peterborough midfielder curling the ball superbly into the corner past Maxwell’s despairing dive.

But with 79 minutes on the clock, Roberts connected with Conor McLaughlin’s pinpoint cross to head past Scott Loach.

A Tuesday trip to Oakwell to play Barnsley was next in store for Fleetwood as they continued their adventure in League One.

The Cod Army came from a goal down to beat the Tykes 2-1, and claimed a valuable three points thanks to goals from McLaughlin and Liam McAlinden.

Town remained on the road for their next fixture, but were beaten against Crewe Alexandra at Gresty Road, with Nicky Ajose and Marcus Haber netting the goals.

Ajose put Steve Davis’ side ahead with 42 minutes gone as he coolly slotted home, and later turned provider as he crossed towards Haber.

A return to Highbury signalled a 2-1 home triumph over Notts County as Fleetwood came from behind to collect maximum points

Garry Thompson gave County an 11th minute lead with a pile-driver beyond Maxwell, but the Cod Army would send their fans home happy as McAlinden and David Ball won the game.

February finished with a 3-0 defeat away at Chesterfield, with goals from Caolan Lavery, Sam Hird and Sam Morsy’s condemning the Cod Army to defeat.

Advertisement block