Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Bury (A)

18 August 2015

Bury 3-4 Fleetwood Town

Fleetwood Town picked up their first win of the 2015/16 Sky Bet League One season with a thrilling victory over Bury at Gigg Lane this evening.

The Shakers took the lead as early as the fourth minute when Leon Clarke got on the end of a long ball forward to beat keeper Chris Maxwell from inside the area.

However Town equalised just after the quarter hour mark when Conor McLaughlin headed past Christopher Walton from a corner.

Tom Soares gave Bury the advantage once more soon after, as he was on hand to convert Chris Hussey’s cross at the back post.

The Cod Army pulled themselves back into the game just shy of the half hour period, when Tyler Forbes hammered home Amari’i Bell’s cross from inside the box.

Jamie Proctor gave Fleetwood the lead on 68 minutes as he bundled the ball home from close range.

Lyle Della-Verde was brought down in the area with eight minutes to play, and Antoni Sarcevic confidently stepped up to increase the advantage.

But substitute Danny Rose reduced the arrears minutes later when he tapped in from close range at the back post.

After seeing his side slip to defeat at Oldham Athletic at the weekend, boss Graham Alexander decided to make four alterations to his side.

Tyler Forbes, Lyle Della-Verde, David Ball and Proctor all came into the team at the expense of Eggert Jonsson, Bobby Grant, Jamille Matt and Declan McManus.

The home side were ahead early on when Clarke latched onto a long ball and got in behind the defence before poking beyond Maxwell.

Proctor went close to equalising for Town as he met a corner at the back post, but was unable to head his effort goalwards.

Town continued to create chances, and Antoni Sarcevic later saw his strike from edge of the box go just wide of Walton’s post.

Tyler Forbes was the next to go close for the Cod Army as he forced Walton into a low save at his near post after the ball had dropped to him on the volley.

Fleetwood were rewarded for their pressure when McLaughlin nodded home Sarcevic’s corner at the front post on 16 minutes.

Bury retook the lead moments later though when Soares met Hussey’s deep cross from the left hand side.

Nathan Cameron went close to extending the home side’s advantage as his directed header went inches over the bar.

The goals continued, and Forbes put Town back on level terms on half an hour as he met Bell’s inviting low cross from the left.

Alexander’s men continued to carve out opportunities before the end of the half, with Proctor and Forbes going close.

Chances were few and far between at the start of the second period, but Maxwell had to be alert to keep out a cross from the left with Clarke onrushing.

With the game an even affair, both backlines were performing admirably to keep the respective forward lines out.

Proctor put Town ahead for the first time in the game midway through the half as he bundled the ball over the line from close range.

Town were indebted to keeper Maxwell on 73 minutes when he kept Danny Mayor’s effort out after the midfielder had been played in on goal.

The Cod Army were awarded a penalty with eight minutes to play as Della-Verde was brought down in the box, and Sarcevic converted the resulting spot kick.

In a frantic encounter, the Shakers reduced the arrears as substitute Danny Rose was on hand at the back post to tap a right wing cross home.

But Fleetwood defended superbly late on and held on for a vital three points in Greater Manchester.

Advertisement block