Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Oldham Athletic 1-0 Fleetwood Town

15 August 2015

Danny Philliskirk's goal was the difference

Despite dominating large spells of the game, Fleetwood Town fell to a narrow defeat at the hands of Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park this afternoon.

Danny Philliskirk scored the only goal in the 37th minute, as latched onto a long ball forward before keeping his cool to beat Chris Maxwell.

Town had plenty of chances in each half with captain Antoni Sarcevic and Bobby Grant both going close on multiple occasions.

Ahead of kick-off manager Graham Alexander made two changes to the team that were knocked out of the Capital One Cup, as Grant and Jamille Matt replaced Lyle Della-Verde and Jamie Proctor respectively.

Town started the brighter, and Sarcevic volleyed narrowly over Joel Coleman’s bar before the goalkeeper scrambled across his line to stop a Stephen Jordan header from a Sarcevic corner.

Matt, who had done well to win the corner, beat two Oldham defenders before feeding Declan McManus who saw his effort deflected over.

As for the hosts, Darren Kelly was forced into an early change with just 12 minutes played, Jake Cassidy being replaced by Rhys Turner.

It was the Cod Army though who continued to set the pace as Sarcevic, McManus and Conor McLaughlin all interchanged before the latter forced Coleman into action low at his near post.

Matt also went close, heading over a McLaughlin cross while also calling Coleman into action from a left wing ball.

Despite the Fleetwood pressure, Oldham took the lead as Philiskirk got in between Stephen Jordan and Eggert Jonsson to capitalise on substitute Turner’s knock-down.

As the second half got underway Town continued to ask questions of Oldham with Grant and Sarcevic both testing Coleman.

The Latics did however have a chance to double their lead with Joe Mills getting in behind McLaughlin though Lee Croft could only volley over.

Danny Andrew almost brought Town level on the hour mark when he met a Jimmy Ryan cross from deep but Coleman managed to keep it out.

Following the chance, Alexander changed his frontline with Jamie Proctor and David Ball replacing McManus and Matt.

As the game reached its finale, the Cod Army struggled to break the hosts down as the Latics held on to take the three points.

Advertisement block