Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: AFC Blackpool 1-5 FTFC Development Squad

4 August 2015

Cod Army produced a fine attacking performance

Fleetwood Town’s Development Squad recorded a comfortable 5-1 victory over near neighbours AFC Blackpool this evening.

An own-goal in the first-half from a home defender was doubled through Ashley Hunter’s strike before the interval.

Second half strikes followed from Eddie Dsane and Gary Lavery – which were sandwiched in-between Kurt Willoughby’s consolation effort – with Nick Haughton completing the scoring late on.

Fleetwood were quick out of the traps, with Hunter, Dsane and Akil Wright all going close for the Cod Army in the opening 15 minutes.

Haughton was next to try his luck for Town, drilling a low shot which went wide of the post.

Soon enough, Fleetwood would find the goal which they had craved on 27 minutes, courtesy of an own goal.

The lively Dsane burst down the right hand side, before rifling a ball into the penalty area, which was turned into his own net by an AFC Blackpool man.

Haughton again tested the home back-line, forcing AFC Blackpool’s goalkeeper into a routine stop with ten minutes of the half to play.

Hunter would net a second of the evening for Town shortly before half-time, in a game that Barry Nicholson’s side were dominating.

It was three shortly after the break when Dsane skipped beyond his marker, and smashed a powerful shot beyond the reach of the goalkeeper.

Fleetwood had further chances as the game entered the closing stages, with Lavery seeing his shot blocked, while Wright hammered the ball over the bar from the resulting re-bound.

With 15 minutes of the game to play, Willoughby drilled home from the edge of the penalty area.

Lavery scored Fleetwood’s fourth on 76 minutes, after Haughton’s effort cannoned back into his path off the upright.

Haughton himself wrapped up proceedings on 87 minutes, beating his man on the byline and scoring from a tight angle.

Advertisement block