Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe 0-3 Fleetwood Town

30 September 2014

Cod Army see off Morecambe at the Globe

Fleetwood Town's Development squad picked up their first win in the Final Third Development Cup game following a comfortable 3-0 victory away at near neighbours Morecambe.
Two goals in quick succession, a penalty from Matty Hughes, and a driven finish from Stewart Murdoch sent the Cod Army on their way early on, with Jeff Hughes completing the scoring in an emphatic win.
Another positive note for Fleetwood would be that Keith Southern completed the first half of the game on his return to action following a recent injury.
It would be the visitors who would create the first chance of the game early on, as Stewart Murdoch dragged his right footed effort wide of the far post.
Both sides were looking to get a hold of the tie on a sun-kissed afternoon, and Morecambe’s Tom McCready sent a lashing strike wide from a volley.
However shortly after, Fleetwood would find the opening goal of the game, courtesy of a 19th minute penalty from Matty Hughes.
The Cod Army broke away on the counter attack, with Matty Hughes teeing up his namesake Jeff, who saw his driven effort deflected away  by the hands of Shrimps defender Mark Hughes.
Up stepped Hughes, who slotted his right footed spot kick to the left of Morcambe keeper Andreas Arestidou to give Barry Nicholson's side the lead.
Fleetwood then found a quick-fire second just two minutes later as a fine piece of build-up play ended in a well-taken finish from Murdoch.
Striker Nick Haughton received the ball and found Jamie Allen, who then assisted Murdoch, with the midfielder drilling the ball into the far right-hand corner to put the Cod Army two up.
Up the other end, Fleetwood keeper Scott Davies had to be at his best to keep out Paul Mullin's driven effort from the edge of the box after skipping past Mark Roberts.
The visitors were now looking to take a firm grasp of the game, with Allen and Haughton both going close.
It would be Fleetwood who would find the first opening after the interval, with Hughes, buoyed by his goal during the first half forcing Arestidou into a flying save.
Five minutes later, Jeff Hughes would increase Fleetwood's lead even further by volleying home emphatically into the bottom corner.
Tom Davies got the better of his man before whipping in a teasing ball which was met by Hughes, who saw his left footed volley go beyond the dive of Arestidou.
The Shrimps were once again being reduced to half chances, with Jack Redshaw and McCready having efforts but neither forcing Scott Davies into a save.
As the game entered the final period, the Cod Army could have increased their lead further, with Haughton skipping past his man and curling his right-footed effort just past the far post.
Morecambe huffed and puffed for a consolation in the closing stages, but it was to no avail, as Fleetwood eased to victory.

Advertisement block