Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Fleetwood Town 0-0 Wigan Athletic

9 September 2014

Sponsored by

Cod Army and Latics share the spoils at Highbury

Fleetwood Town and Wigan Athletic played out a 0-0 draw in the opening fixture of the Final Third Development Cup, at Highbury on Tuesday afternoon.

The Cod Army will have felt hard done by not to take all three points, with Chris Lucketti's men on the front foot for the majority of the game.

A major plus from the game was winger Jeff Hughes completed the full 90 minutes as he continues his recovery from a serious leg injury sustained in January against Hartlepool United.

Wigan created the first chance of the game after nine minutes, with experienced striker Grant Holt glancing wide of the near post, from a free header.

Fleetwood found their first opportunity after a quarter of an hour, with midfielder Hughes back-healing the ball, which was clawed away by Latics keeper Lee Nicholls.

The Cod Army had another chance just three minutes, with young full back Danny Andrew seeing his driven effort from long range saved well.

Both sides then looked to dictate the player, on a sun-kissed afternoon at Highbury.

It would be the visitors who would have the next chance of the game, with Latics captain Tim Chow forcing Scott Davies into a flying save, with 25 minutes on the clock.

Five minutes later,  Fleetwood defender Tom Davies powered a header towards goal which was comfortably saved.

The Cod Army then had a goal chalked off shortly afterwards, with Mark Roberts appearing to be off-side as he tapped home at the back post.

Fleetwood were passing the ball well as the half grew to a close, as Wigan remained resilient defensively, with the Cod Army reduced to half chances.

Matty Hughes was impressing, and saw his effort valiantly blocked by the Latics defence, as Fleetwood looked to end the half brightly.

Despite Fleetwood's pressure, it would be Wigan who would have the final chance. Ryan Jennings looped a free header over the bar of Scott Davies, in injury time at the end of the first half.

As the second period commenced, Fleetwood looked to build an advantage, with the impressive Nick Haughton drilling a free kick into the grateful grasp of Nicholls, as the Fylde Coast side started brightly.

Lucketti's men were then unlucky not to have been handed a penalty, as Matty Blair appeared to had been brought down unfairly in the box, as Fleetwood pressed to find an opening goal.

Up the other end, Wigan seemed to threaten the Cod Army defence, however, Holt mistimed his effort, with Roberts punting the ball away from any danger.

Latics, inspired by captain Chow, were unable to break the Cod Army defence down, and they too were limited to just half chances during the second period.

And they may have considered themselves unfortunate not be be in-front at Highbury, as the clocked ticked down towards the final half hour.

Scott Davies kept out Holt, before Luke Burke, as Wigan themselves pressed to find the goal in which they so craved.

Fleetwood themselves had a real chance to be in the lead after 66 minutes, with  Blair heading just over the bar from point blank range, from a corner from Jeff Hughes.

In what was turning into an end to end, entertaining spectacle at Highbury, full back Declan Poole cut inside onto his left foot, before curling his effort just over the crossbar, from a tight angle.

As the game entered its final phase, both sides looked to take an advantage, though neither were unable to find that spark which would settle the stalemate.

The final chance of the game came through  Roberts, who connected with a lovely cross from Jeff Hughes at the back post, however his goal bound effort was clawed away for a corner by Nicholls.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account