Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Ticket News

2013/14 season review: September

14 June 2014

We look back at the second month of the League Two campaign

After ending the first month of the new season on a losing note, Graham Alexander set about making changes to the first team squad in order to rediscover not only the winning formula, but a more consistent one.

Despite the Kingsmeadow hoodoo continuing, The Johnstone’s Paint Trophy first-round clash with Tranmere Rovers represented an opportunistic moment to put defeat behind them and test themselves against higher rank opposition once again.

The see-saw sequence at this point had been win, lose, win, lose, win, lose. So in continuing with that there was only going to be one result on a warming Tuesday evening in Merseyside and Fleetwood duly obliged.

Alexander made five changed from the Wimbledon clash and courtesy of two goals from Jamille Matt in the second-half, the Cod Army turned the tie on its head and kick-started their first winning run of the season.

The goals were flowing as well. Antoni Sarcevic, who would go on to be a Wembley hero, scored his first competitive goals in a Fleetwood shirt following his move from Chester City.

His brace was followed up by further strikes from Matt and Matty Blair as Town recorded a comfortable 4-1 victory over Torquay United as the Cod Army recorded their fourth league victory in six games.

Two wins down and the third soon followed. Alexander and his side welcomed Bury, fresh off the back of relegation from League 1 the previous season, and they repeated the trick they had done against Tranmere at the start of the month.

Tom Soares converted a well-struck curled effort for the visitors midway through the first half, but Sarcevic equalised for Fleetwood in scintillating fashion, arrowing a volley beyond Trevor Carson.

Gareth Evans converted Junior Brown’s back post cross 12 minutes later as Fleetwood climbed to the lofty heights of third – the final automatic promotion spot – early on.

Fleetwood were threatening a perfect month and made it four straight wins when they made the long journey down south to face Portsmouth.

It was quite occasion for Fleetwood. Four years ago, whilst Town were playing Conference North football, Portsmouth were in the Barclays Premier League. That same season, they also lifted the FA Cup and qualified to play in the Europa League.

Here they both were at Fratton Park. Both teams on an even keel, but it was Fleetwood who continued their fine start to the season with a hard-fought 1-0 victory following a second-half own goal from Sonny Bradley.

Second in the table with one more game in September to go.

Fleetwood were back at Highbury under a cloud of euphoria, but Exeter City, who missed out on the play-off places by the narrowest of margins, were to deny Fleetwood a 100% record in September.

The Cod Army dominated, probed and attacked, but it took until the 71st minute of a frustrating afternoon for Matty Blair to give Fleetwood the lead, but two goals in the space of three minutes from Scot Bennett halted their winning streak.

Fleetwood, though, were still amongst the front runners at the top end of League 2 and Town were soon back to winning ways.

Advertisement block