Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Sheffield United

13 December 2014

Fleetwood Town 1-1 Sheffield United

Antoni Sarcevic first goal since the winner at Wembley was enough to earn Fleetwood a deserved point against Sheffield United in front of a packed Highbury.

It was United though who took the lead, Harris precisely tucking away a shot from the edge of the area just eight minutes into proceedings.

However, despite a disappointing first half showing the Cod Army came out the strongest in the second period and equalised through Sarcevic’s looping header in the 53rd minute.

Josh Morris did well down the left getting to the byline before clipping it over to Sarcevic who headed back across goal and over a cluster of United bodies.

Following the narrow defeat to Swindon Town, Graham Alexander made four changes with Danny Andrew and Matty Hughes notable starters coming in for Stephen Crainey and Martin Paterson.

The other two alternations saw Jamie Proctor return from his three match suspension in place of Tom Hitchcock while Josh Morris replaced Steven Schumacher.

Town were first out of the blocks and whipped in a number of goalbound crosses, but were just missing the final touch before the visitors managed to get a strangehold on the game.

Neat work from Jose Baxter and Kieran Wallace on the edge of the Town box led to a early chance for Jamie Murphy who was thwarted by the ever-reliable Chris Maxwell.

However, moments later United took the lead as Harris precisely tucked away a right footed shot into Maxwell’s left hand corner.

After going behind Town pushed for an equaliser but found it hard to create any clear sight on goal though Jamie Proctor had a couple of efforts.

The first came just past the half hour mark after Gareth Evans had run at the United defence Proctor took over and unleashed a shot from 25 yards which went wide past Mark Howard’s right post.

Prior to the half-time whistle, from a similar range Proctor let fly but was again narrowly wide.

After the restart, the Cod Army came out with a point to prove and seven minutes into the half were level when Sarcevic headed in Morris’ left wing cross.

Before the equaliser Evans stung the palms of Howard who parried to an onrushing Matty Hughes, but he was unable to convert following pressure from United’s Paddy McCarthy.

United were next to have a goalbound effort with Chris O’Grady controlling well from a cross field pass by Wallace. O’Grady worked the ball onto his right before being denied by Maxwell who stayed strong.

Two minutes after Town came close to taking the lead as Proctor twisted and turned to work an opening in the visitors’ area but could only drag his left footed shot wide.

As the game reached its finale, and after dominating the majority of the second half Sarcevic almost secured the win for Town but was denied by Howard.

The draw sees Fleetwood in 11th place ahead of next weekend’s trip to Coventry City.

Advertisement block