Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Preview: Chesterfield

23 August 2014

Report: Chesterfield 0-0 Fleetwood

Fleetwood Town’s unbeaten start in League One continued with a well earned point against Chesterfield at Highbury.

Both teams had opportunities to win the game, but Graham Alexander and Paul Cook had to both settle with a point in what was the fourth meeting between the two sides in 2014.

Graham Alexander made one change from the team that beat Scunthorpe United on Tuesday night, with captain Nathan Pond returning after injury to replace Stephen Jordan.

Jordan, a key figure so far this season missed out with a groin injury, with the manager confirming the news in his post match press conference.

To matters on the pitch, Stephen Crainey had the game’s first chance as his long range strike took a wicked deflection and went just wide of Tommy Lee’s goal.

Jamie Proctor, looking to add to his fine early season form, later headed over from a sweet Steven Schumacher corner as Fleetwood began the game brightly.

In response, Gary Roberts, League Two's Player of the Season for 2013/14, fizzed a free kick over for the Spireites, while Chris Maxwell reacted well to a deflection off Conor McLaughlin.

Chesterfield frontman Jay O’Shea tested Maxwell from the edge of the area on 25 minutes, but the Welsh man was equal to his effort.

The visitors gradually started to get the better of things, and Roberts was the next to have a go when he latched on to a ball over the top, but looped over.

Chances continued to come Chesterfield’s way, with O’Shea squandering an opportunity and firing well wide from a good position.

A lapse in concentration from Conor McLaughlin allowed Roberts in on goal before the break, but he could only shoot straight at Maxwell.

After the interval, O’Shea dragged an effort wide of Maxwell’s far post, while at the other end a surging run from Crainey found Gareth Evans, but he shot off target.

O’Shea looked dangerous, and he later fired just over, before Roberts and Ian Evatt also went close as Cook’s men looked to take the initiative.

Evans was presented with another opportunity for the Cod Army on the hour mark, but drove an effort straight at Lee in the visiting goal.

Blackburn Rovers loanee Josh Morris found space and drove up-field, before dragging a long range effort wide.

Fleetwood boss Alexander introduced midfielder Matty Blair at the expense of Antoni Sarcevic with 20 minutes remaining as the Cod Army went in search of their fourth win in as many games.

And Town very nearly took the lead through Liam Hogan, but he glanced his header wide at the back post.

In injury time, Chesterfield substitute Armand Gnanduillet rattled the post from close range and Graham Alexander’s side hung on for a point and become the first team in the division to be on double figures.

Advertisement block