Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town reach the League Two play-off final after second-leg draw with York

16 May 2024

Club News

Report: Town reach the League Two play-off final after second-leg draw with York

16 May 2024

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town reached the League Two play-off final on this day ten years ago, beating York City 1-0 on aggregate after a 0-0 draw at Highbury.

Town goalkeeper Chris Maxwell denied Michael Coulson and Keith Lowe as the visitors looked to overturn their first-leg deficit, whilst at the other end, Nick Pope - now at Newcastle United - saved brilliantly from Antoni Sarcevic to keep York in the tie.

Victory at Wembley later that month saw the Cod Army achieve their sixth promotion in ten seasons, entering the third tier of English football for the first time in their history.

York had gone 17 games unbeaten heading into the play-offs, but their defeat at Bootham Crescent in the first-leg inflicted upon them by former York winger Matty Blair, who ended their hopes of a second promotion in three years.

And while Nigel Worthington's men failed to test Maxwell as often as they would have anticipated in a feisty second leg, they threatened enough make it a nervous 90 minutes for a sell-out crowd of 5,194, before the home supporters could celebrate their trip to Wembley.


Maxwell was called upon twice to preserve Fleetwood's one-goal lead in the tie - first stopping Coulson's powerful effort from 12-yards and then flying to his right to keep out Lowe's looping header.

The home side struggled to impose themselves on the game during the first 45 minutes, but almost took the lead in stoppage time at the end of the first period when Mark Roberts met Steven Schumacher's driven free-kick, but his header drifted wide.

As the game began to open up, Fleetwood finally found some fluidity and after Pope's excellent save from Sarcevic, Nathan Pond headed over from the resulting corner.

Town's left-back, Charlie Taylor - now at Burnley - drilled wide in the dying minutes as the hosts looked to close out the match, while a curling effort from substitute Ryan Jarvis, calmly claimed by Maxwell, was as close as the visitors came to forcing an extra 30 minutes.

Town played Burton Albion in the League Two play-off final on Monday 26 May 2014, and we think you know what happened next.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account