Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town lose on the road to Lincoln City

10 February 2024

Match Reports

Report: Town lose on the road to Lincoln City

10 February 2024

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town fell to their first loss of the month on Saturday afternoon as they narrowly lost to Lincoln City at the LNER Stadium.

Charlie Adam’s men had a good first half, with Promise Omochere opening the scoring and good play on display for all to see, but a red card for Bosun Lawal in added time meant the second half would swing in Lincoln’s favour.

Quickfire goals from Ben House and Lasse Sorensen flipped the game on its head early in the second period and the home side rarely looked back from this as they earned all three points on the day.

It was a slow start to the game for both sides, with no key chances to report from the opening 15 minutes of play. The best in this time came from Ryan Broom, who struck well over the bar with his audacious effort from range.

Then, the play started expanding from the middle of the park as, around the 20-minute mark, Ben Heneghan headed Gavin Kilkenny’s free-kick onto the roof of the host’s goal before Reeco Hackett drove a powerful effort wide of the mark.

A mistake was needed to spark some life into the game at Sincil Bank as Omochere sniffed out danger after Stockley’s ball over the top, and he managed to get in between the goalkeeper and defender and opened the scoring from five yards.

There were two moments of danger ahead of the break for the Cods as Lincoln’s captain Paudie O’Connor rose highest from a corner but headed wide of the near post and Joe Taylor fired off target after a good run into the box soon after.

A red card to Lawal shook the stadium as he seemingly did nothing wrong on the stroke of the half, after a full melee in the centre of the park, and this gave Lincoln the momentum going into the second half.

Chances for Conor McGrandles and Joe Taylor were awry, but House – who was booked in the scrap in the first half, headed home after a deep cross to make it 1-1 before Sorensen drove forwards and put the hosts into the lead before the hour mark.

Head coach Adam then had to switch up the style of play, with Town being down to 10, so Ryan Graydon, Phoenix Patterson, and Junior Quitirna were introduced at the top end of the pitch whilst Harrison Holgate took up a defensive spot.

Even with the revitalised squad on the pitch, chances were at a premium for Fleetwood, and it was Lincoln who looked the more likely to add another to their tally. They would have if it wasn’t for Jay Lynch’s heroics between the sticks.

Two efforts around the 80-minute mark were brilliantly stopped by Town’s number 13, the first coming from McGrandles and the second from Sean Roughan – both seeing the same outcome on the day.

That was it for the shots on goal in the clash, with the referee then blowing the full-time whistle, meaning the hosts would take all three points from the game, and Town would go home empty-handed for the first time in February.

Imps XI: Jensen (GK), Sorensen, Jackson (Eyoma 75’), Erhanon, Hackett, Taylor (Makama 89'), Bishop, O’Connor (C), House (Duffy 68’), Roughan, McGrandles.

Unused subs: Wright (GK), Mandroiu, Moylan.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Johnston, Wiredu (C), Lawal, Campbell (Patterson 61’), Kilkenny, Stockley, Broom (Quitirna 61’), Heneghan, Omochere (Graydon 46’), Coughlan (Holgate 46’).

Unused subs: McMullan (GK), Samuels, Lonergan.

Attendance: 8,282 (175 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account