Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town win theit first league game of the season over Leyton

30 September 2023

Match Reports

Report: Town win theit first league game of the season over Leyton

30 September 2023

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town earned their first league win of the season with a 1-0 victory over Leyton Orient at Highbury Stadium.

Jack Marriott’s first of the campaign, which was scored in the 56th minute, was enough to grant Lee Johnson his first win as new Fleetwood Town manager and ruin Leyton's first trip to the Fylde Coast in eight years.

Town was given an early scare in the game's opening minute, when Joe Pigott latched onto a wicked delivery, flicking his effort narrowly wide of the post.

Orient continued to ask questions early on, as Pigott came close again. This time the striker headed narrowly over before defender Tom James struck a long-range effort that forced Jay Lynch to spring into a diving save.

Minutes later, Fleetwood’s first big chance of the half arrived; Junior Quitirna picked out Ryan Broom on the edge of the area, who found space before hitting a low deflected strike narrowly wide of the goal.

After the hour mark, the Cod Army that began to create more chances, firing a number of dangerous deliveries into the penalty area, all of which lacked any conviction in the final third.

But just after the interval, The Cods were inches away from going a goal to the good. Bosun Lawal drove down the wing before delivering a dangerous cross, met by Josh Vela at the far post, whose effort narrowly flashed wide. 

But shortly after, Lee Johnson’s side did take the lead. After a great start to the second half, Quitirna fired an excellent ball into the area, with Marriott arriving on cue at the front post to turn the ball past Sol Brynn.

A golden opportunity to equalise fell Orient’s way five minutes later, as the away side broke forward in numbers. The ball fell to Ruel Sotiriou, who was bearing down on goal, but the attacker lost his footing at a crucial time and blazed over.

The O’s then had two penalty claims in quick succession, when Jordan Graham went down twice in the area - but the referee waved away the strong appeals from the travelling fans behind the goal.

Left to rue their missed chances, Orient were nearly made to pay again. Quitirna cut inside from a wide position and shaved the post with an exceptional effort - one that would’ve excellently followed up his strike at Burton last week.

As the game entered its closing stages, the Cods continued to threaten in search of that elusive second goal. It had been a much improved second 45 from Town, dominating large portions of the game and creating numerous opportunities in the final third.

Despite all of Fleetwood’s second-half chances, Orient nearly equalised late on, but a crucial goal-line clearance from new signing Ben Heneghan denied a header from levelling the scores.

Both sides were reduced to 10 men in added time, as both Ethan Galbraith and Carl Johnston were shown second yellow cards.

But after some stubborn late defending, Lee Johnson’s side were able to see-off a further eight minutes of added time, to claim their first win of the season and Johnson’s first win as manager of the club.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Johnston, Lawal, Vela (C), Broom, Marriott (Tshimanga 87’), Quitirna, Heneghan, Omochere (Graydon 84’), Nsiala, Earl.

Subs not used: McMullan (GK), Robertson, Stockley, Simons, Holgate.

Leyton Orient: Brynn (GK), James, Pigott, (Drinan 53’), Sotiriou, Archibald, Cooper, Moncur (Brown 53’), Mizouni (Forde 63’), Pratley, (Galbraith 53’), Beckles (Happe 60’), Graham.

Subs not used: Howes (GK), Hunt.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account