Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town progress in Bristol Street Motors Trophy after win over Leicester

7 November 2023

Match Reports

Report: Town progress in Bristol Street Motors Trophy after win over Leicester

7 November 2023

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town progressed into the knockout stages of the Bristol Street Motors Trophy after a 4-0 win over Leicester City's Under-21s at Highbury on Tuesday night.

A brace from captain Ryan Broom in the first 45 minutes and a first senior goal for Will Johnson early and one from Ryan Graydon in the second half helped Town go on to knock out Leicester City in the competition and see the Red and White army into the hat for Round Two.

It was Fleetwood who started off on the front foot, and Graydon was the man who struck the target first after Broom's low driven cross found the former Cork City player inside the 18-yard box. His volley caight Leicester keeper Brad Young by surprise, but it was a fine save to react to that powerful effort.

On the ten minute mark, the visitors tried their look from range looking to catch Town keeper Stephen McMullan off guard, but he had his angles covered at his near post.

Broom - who was named captain for the match - thought he had opened the scoring five minutes later. He linked up well with Graydon down the right flank and when he entered the penalty area, he went low and hard across Young's goal, but like the Foxes, he failed to hit the target.

Xavier Simons was the next player to have a shot at goal. The midfielder worked a couple yards of space from distance and pulled the trigger. His shot was blocked on the way through which made it difficult for Young, but second later, he had another attempt, this time it was parried out for a corner.

Town did break the deadlock before the half-hour mark. Broom took the corner on the left flank and managed to find the far corner directly from the set-piece. It missed out everyone in the box to give the hostst the lead.

Lee Johnson's side kept the pressure on until the half-time break and grabbed the all important second. Broom's cross / shot took Young by surprise and it floated over his head and landed in the back of the net - we will have to ask him if he meant it or not.

Pharrell Brown - who was making his first start of the season - nearly made it three in the first half. The tricky winger came in from the left on his favoured right foot and curled one towards the back post, but it was well saved.

Both Town and Leicester made double changes at the interval, with the hosts taking off Bosun Lawal for Johnson, and he was on the scoredsheet within five minutes after the young defender's cross from the left found it's way in at the near post. Just what Fleetwood needed! 

It was a long-awaited return for Fleetwood midfielder Harvey Macadam - who has been sidelined for a long period of time due to a hamstring injury - and it was good to see him back out on the grass again.

The Foxes were still creating chances, and if it wasn't for interventions from Harrison Holgate and Johnson, the last 25 minutes could have been rather different under the floodlights.

Graydon got Town's fourth with a little bit of help from Young between the sticks, who saw the ball slip through his gloves on a wet and slippery pitch with only minutes left on the clock.

Town XI: McMullan (GK), Lawal (Johnson, 46'), Robertson, Tshimanga, Broom (C), Simons, Holgate, Graydon, Teale (Glenfield. 46'), Brown (Macadam, 60'), Armstrong.

Subs not used: Lynch (GK), Mayor, Omochere, Patterson. 

City XI: Young (GK), Alves (Pennent, 46'), Marcal, Nelson (C), Thomas, Raikhy, Cartwright (Popov, 66'), Godsmark-Ford, Cover, Ali, Richards (Amartey, 46')

Subs not used: Hill, Grist, Doherty.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account