Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town end the season with a draw against promoted outfit Ipswich

7 May 2023

Match Reports

Report: Town end the season with a draw against promoted outfit Ipswich

7 May 2023

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town and Ipswich Town ended the season by sharing the points on the Fylde Coast in a 2-2 draw at Highbury Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Freddie Ladapo gave the visitors the lead in the 50th minute, but it was a brace by Jack Marriott which saw Town take the lead before Marcus Harness levelled things late in the game.

It was a bright start to the game for both sides in the glorious sunshine at Highbury. The visitors Ipswich had the first attempt through Conor Chaplin, but it was fired wide of Lynch’s goal.

Fleetwood were on the attack moments later, and when Phoenix Patterson’s cross was whipped into the box, it was Promise Omochere who was the closest to getting the all-important touch.

It was end to end early on, and when Omochere let Shaun Rooney fly on the under-lap, the defender got himself into the box before picking out Jack Marriott – whose effort rattled the keeper’s gloves, but not the netting.

Patterson was at the heart of Town’s attacks in the opening quarter and when he received the ball deep inside the opponent’s half, he came in on his favoured right foot but fired wide of goal.

Ipswich were forced into an early game with Hirst going off due to a calf injury, but up stepped Ladapo – who within 30 seconds of coming on the pitch had his first chance of the game, but again, not one that troubled Lynch.

Kieran McKenna’s side had a great chance to take the lead just before the half-hour mark. Nathan Broadhead beat his man on the left flank, and picked out Chaplin who fired his shot on goal, however, it was blocked and cleared by Brendan Wiredu.

Just before the half-time interval, Chaplin went close after Wes Burns broke the offside trap and played a delightful ball to his teammate, but he failed to get on the end of the ball for an easy tap-in.

The visitors took the lead in the 50th minute through Ladapo. The striker held off Wiredu inside the 18-yard box and put his foot right through the ball to score his 21st goal of the campaign.

Town levelled the scoring in the 56th minute. Marriott got on the loose ball in the box after Patterson’s shot was blocked by Woolfenden on the six-yard line. Just as a good poacher goes, the former Peterborough man was on hand to tap home.

After the equaliser, it was all Town. Marriott, Patterson and Carlos Mendes Gomes all linked up well, with the latter shooting from distance troubling Christian Walton between the sticks to get the home crowd going once again.

Marriott did get his second goal of the game with a glancing header at the far post to give Town the lead, and it was thoroughly deserved by the home team.

Town’s head coach Brown made two changes with 20 minutes left on the clock. Connor Teale came on for his EFL debut, with Kyle White also coming on to replace Mendes Gomes in the heart of the midfield.

Marcus Harness – who was a second-half substitute – got Ipswich back level with just over 15 minutes to play. Teammate Harry Clarke picked up his second yellow card two minutes into added-on time, meaning Ipswich finished off the season with ten men.

The Club would like to thank the fans for their amazing support this season, as well as wishing Ipswich Town all the best next season in the Championship.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Wiredu, Mendes Gomes (White, 68’), Vela (C), Marriott, Warrington (Glenfield, 87’), Holgate (Teale, 69’), Omochere (Quitirna, 83’), Patterson (Hayes, 87), Rooney, Johnston.

Subs not used: McMullan (GK), Johnson. 

Ipswich XI: Walton (GK), Davis (Edwards, 81’), Woolfenden, Burns (Jackson, 81’), Chaplin, Ball, Burgess, Luongo, Hirst (Ladapo, 18’), Broadhead (Harness, 65’), Donacien (Clarke, 65’).

Subs not used: Hladky (GK), Keogh.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account