Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stockley stunner sees Town pick up back-to-back wins

25 March 2023

Match Reports

Report: Stockley stunner sees Town pick up back-to-back wins

25 March 2023

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town came out on top in their 2-1 win over Lincoln City on Saturday, with Jayden Stockley converting the diving header with not long to go.

In a game between two of the league’s mid-table sides, Lincoln had the first chance when Matty Virtue hit the ball powerfully, but his effort wasn’t enough to test Jay Lynch in the second minute.

Less than two minutes later, Jack Marriott returned that with Town’s first effort on goal. He ran onto a loose ball and had a shot well saved at the near post by Imps goalkeeper Jordan Wright.

After a good few minutes of Fleetwood possession, which saw Town pass the ball around nicely, the ball fell to Lincoln forward Daniel Mandriou and he attempted to chip Lynch, but his effort sailed over the bar.

The game continued to prove quite a lively affair with both teams having half chances, but after a corner was swung in from Carlos Mendes Gomes, the ball took a faint touch off Jayden Stockley before finding its way into the net to see Fleetwood take the lead in the 17th minute.

It looked as if the first half rounded out with a half chance from Town skipper Josh Vela, whose shot was deflected by an Imps defender and came to nothing. Following that, Lincoln’s Jack Diamond, who came on to replace the injured Lewis Montsma, had a weak shot which failed to test Lynch once more.

However, soon after a mix-up in the Lincoln box which saw Stockley take aim at Wright’s goal, the Imps got themselves back in the game with a finish from their captain Regan Poole.

Harry Boyes was the man responsible for having the first chance of the second half when he took aim from outside the box, but his bobbling effort was gathered by Lynch.

Trying to add to his goal from the first half, Stockley rose highest to head a great effort towards goal, but somehow Wright got in the way of it to keep Lincoln level.

With half an hour to play, Fleetwood were trying to turn the screw on Lincoln and put the game to bed. Stockley continued to cause the Imps some problems, he fired a shot narrowly over the bar from just outside the box.

Lincoln replied to that with an opportunity of their own when Max Sanders whipped a ball into the box, and Lincoln were close to going ahead when a header from Poole had to be saved.

Finally, after chance upon chance for Stockley, he got his second of the game. The Fleetwood number nine headed home from close range with 74 minutes on the clock.

Town substitute Phoenix Patterson tried his luck from just inside the box, with a drilled effort and he did win his side a corner – only for that to result in Lincoln regaining possession.

As the minutes ticked by, Town’s efforts turned to see out the game and see it out they did. Fleetwood took all three points as they get back-to-back wins.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Wiredu, Ndaba, Mendes Gomes (Macadam 45’), Vela (C), Stockley, Marriott (Batty 86’), Warrington, Holgate (Patterson 68’), Rooney, Earl.

Unused subs: McMullan (GK), Nsiala, Johnston, McMillan.

Imps XI: Wright (GK), Poole (C), Boyes, Montsma (Diamond 35’), Jackson, Sanders, Bishop (Oakley-Boothe 69’), House (Plange 78’), Mandriou (Duffy 78’), Sorensen, Virtue.

Unused subs: Long (GK), Makama.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account