Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood defeated by Bristol Rovers at Highbury

10 April 2023

Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood defeated by Bristol Rovers at Highbury

10 April 2023

Sponsored by

An early goal by Jayden Stockley calmed the nerves, but two second half goals from Bristol Rovers gave the visitors the three points.

The game had a fast start, with Joey Barton’s Bristol Rovers getting on the ball more and the visitors were looking to create chances. Fleetwood’s first came in the 15th minute, as Stockley rose highest from a corner kick, but his header was high off the target.

It didn’t take long for the Cods to get going though. Just seven minutes after Town’s first chance, Stockley was there again, and after latching onto a header across goal by Shaun Rooney, Phoenix Patterson’s excellent delivery was rewarded as Stockley nodded home.

The first half had very little to offer other than Fleetwood’s goal. Bristol Rovers couldn’t find an opening, nor a response to Town’s goal.

The second half picked up a bit, and there was a bit of tension in proceedings as the second 45 minutes got underway. Rovers substitute Ryan Loft clashed with Rooney, and the tension was raised further.

From that moment, both teams were flying in with tackles and both teams had chances of their own, but it was the visitors who claimed the second halves first goal in the 55th minute. Lewis Gibson found himself on the end of a loose ball after a goal-mouth scramble.

The game’s tempo was turned up a notch and it was all to play for with half an hour to play. Fleetwood would have felt hard done by in the 60th minute when they felt they should have had a penalty. The goal scorer Gibson bought down Rooney, but the referee pointed for a goal-kick.

The game certainly felt worlds apart from its first half, and it took another turn when Grant Ward scored a well-finished goal from a crossing position. The away side led 1-2, and after some controversial refereeing, Fleetwood were unfortunate to go behind.

Town tried to claw their way back into the game, and with just under ten minutes left, substitute Junior Quitirna tried his luck from far out and his shot wasn’t too far over.

It seemed though, that Bristol Rovers had the game under control in the closing stages. Scott Brown’s side did all they could to score the games equaliser, however every time the Cods broke forward, the Gas would be there to defend against any danger.

After taking the early lead, it was a defeat on Easter Monday for Fleetwood, but certainly, a performance that deserved much more.


Cods XI: Lynch (GK), Wiredu, Ndaba, Vela (C), Stockley, Marriott (Omochere 69’), Warrington (Robertson 78’), Patterson, Rooney, Macadam (Batty 15’) (Quitirna 78’), Earl

Unused subs: McMullan (GK), Nsiala, Johnston

Gasheads XI: Belshaw (GK), Connolly, Gordon, Finley (C) (Anderson 89’), Ward, Marquis (Loft 46’), Collins (Gibbons 81’), Gibson, Evans (Coburn 46’), Bogarde, Hoole

Unused subs: Ward (GK), Sinclair, McCormick

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account