Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Macadam's first-half goal enough to secure win at Burton

4 October 2022

Match Reports

Report: Macadam's first-half goal enough to secure win at Burton

4 October 2022

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town held out as they managed to beat Burton Albion 1-0 in their Sky Bet League One clash at the Pirelli Stadium on Tuesday evening.

A first-half goal from Harvey Macadam was the difference in the game as he proved to have built a good partnership with Shaun Rooney down the right wing for the Cods. The lead could have been doubled on multiple occasions, but the game would finish as a one-nil victory on the road.

It was a quick start to the game as Shaun Rooney almost found the head of Admiral Muskwe just 60 seconds into the game before the hosts went down the other and forced a good save from Jay Lynch, through a Davis Keillor-Dunn effort.

From the resulting corner, it was looped over to the back post where Cameron Borthwick-Jackson was waiting. He then found John Brayford six yards out with his cross, whose header clattered against the crossbar and Town were able to get the ball clear.

Town had a couple of quickfire chances around the 15-minute mark as Paddy Lane picked out Carlos Mendes Gomes after a quick free kick, with the latter firing high and wide of the target before Lewis Warrington found himself with the ball 20-yards out soon after and shot just over the bar.

Around the half-hour mark, the Cods pressed for the opener and that they did. After Muskwe’s effort from the edge of the box somehow flew past the post, Macadam carried on his recent run of form as he controlled the ball and confidently smashed it past Ben Garratt to make it 1-0.

It could have been two for Fleetwood soon after as the ball was played to Mendes Gomes at the back post, who took down the ball but drilled his low effort just wide of the target. Rooney also had an effort ahead of the break, after latching onto Lewis Warrington’s deep cross, but the header went off target.

Chances were a premium at the start of the second period as everyone at the Pirelli had to wait until the 55th minute for the first one. It was one for the hosts as Calum Butcher thought he was through on goal, but as soon as he struck his shot, Josh Earl tracked back perfectly and got in the way.

An hour in, Warrington tried to finish off a move from the training ground as he was picked out by Danny Andrew from a corner. Town’s number 16 decided to attack the lobbed pass by half-volleying it towards Burton’s goal, with the strike, unluckily, going just wide of the near post.

After a couple of forced substitutions due to knocks in the Town back line, Scott Brown’s side carried on pressing as Morton, who came off the bench in the 75th minute, had one effort saved by Garrett before taking him on in the next attack, but somehow missing an open goal.

Burton XI: Garratt (GK), Brayford (C), Borthwick-Jackson, Oshilaja, Hughes, Butcher (Powell 68’), Keillor-Dunn (Taylor 40’), Smith (Kamwa 88'), Adeboyejo, Thorpe, Carayol (Winnall 68’).

Unused subs: Sinisalo (GK), Onyango, Lakin.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Andrew, Mendes Gomes, Vela (C), Muskwe, Lane (Wiredu 79’), Warrington (Batty 79’), Nsiala (Devlin 57’) (Morton 75’), Rooney, Macadam, Earl.

Unused subs: Stolarczyk (GK), J.Garner, Johnston.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account