Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: League clash against Cambridge ends a goal apiece

29 January 2022

Match Reports

Report: League clash against Cambridge ends a goal apiece

29 January 2022

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town played out a 1-1 draw against Cambridge United at Highbury Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Wes Hoolahan opened the scoring for the visitors directly from a corner but Paddy Lane’s curling effort from distance levelled things up for Fleetwood meaning the two sides share the spoils.

It was a lively start from Fleetwood as the hosts earned a few successive corners, but they came to nothing with Tom Clarke’s straight down Dimitar Mitov’s throat.

Just before the 10-minute mark, Paddy Lane picked up the ball mid-way in the visitors’ half and struck one that again tested Mitov who pushed it wide.

Town then started to turn defence into attack efficiently as Ellis Harrison’s header on the edge of Fleetwood’s box set Shayden Morris who motored down the right and found his way in the box, but Harrison Dunk timed his slide to perfection to deny any further opportunity.

It was the hosts who nearly broke the deadlock as Carl Johnston’s cross across the face of goal was near-perfect but neither Harrison nor Paddy Lane could capitalise onto it.

With half an hour gone the game started to get competitive with Cambridge starting to find their feet as George Williams found himself behind Town’s lines but Zak Jules was there to block his hopeful cross.

Morris again proved a thorn in United’s side as his cute flick with his head set him behind the visitors’ defence, but the attack fizzled out.

Alex Cairns was called into action with two minutes to halftime as Williams’ strike on the edge of the box was pushed out of danger by Town’s number one, this was the final play of the half as both sides went into the break level.

It was a quiet start to the second half with chances at both ends but nothing to test either goalkeeper, however, the deadlock was broken as Hoolahan scored directly from a corner on the 65th minute giving Cambridge the lead.

Town teased and tugged at United’s defence in the hope for an immediate response and within a few minutes the effort would pay off as Lane curled a beautiful left-footed effort into the top corner from 25-yards to level things up just over five minutes after the visitors opened things up.

In the final ten minutes, Fleetwood started to up the gears with Cambridge also creating a competitive affair with chances at both ends but nothing to test either goalkeeper with the game-ending honours even at Highbury Stadium despite efforts in the four minutes injury time.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew (C), Jules, Clarke, Harrop (Johnston 1’), Harrison, Camps, Morris (Hayes 88’), Batty (Pilkington 62’), Johnson, Lane

Subs not used: Crellin (GK), Matete, Nsiala, Macadam

United XI: Mitov (GK), Williams, Iredale, Digby, Brophy, Smith, Dunk, Hoolahan, Okedina, May, Lankester (Knibbs 73’)

Subs not used: Mannion (GK), Sherring, Worman, Bennett, Yearn, McConnell

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account