Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town play out six-goal draw against Portsmouth

26 February 2022

Match Reports

Report: Town play out six-goal draw against Portsmouth

26 February 2022

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town were held to a 3-3 draw by Portsmouth away from home at Fratton Park on Saturday afternoon.

Four goals in the first half meant it was an action-packed first 45, however, it was backs to the wall for Fleetwood as the backline was broken twice in the second half the last in stoppage time meant the points were shared.

In the opening five minutes, Pompey looked to set the tempo but Tyler Walker’s volley was pulled well wide.

It was superb work by Carl Johnston down the right to battle with Denver Hume, he played it to Ellis Harrison who accelerated down the wing and had the beating of Clark Robertson where Harrison perfectly pulled it back to Anthony Pilkington who slotted into the top corner on the eight-minute mark as Town opened the scoring.

It was a physical battle in the first ten minutes with both sides battling well in an attempt to own possession.

With just under 20 minutes played, Town’s lead was doubled as Johnston and Paddy Lane linked up perfectly to one-two their way between Pompey’s backline as the former’s pull back to Biggins 12 yards out was perfect as Biggins struck perfectly into the roof of the net.

Pilkington again proved a thorn in the hosts’ side as his effort was struck straight at Gavin Bazunu - this was Pilkington’s last involvement as he couldn’t carry on due to a knock.

With over half an hour played Pompey looked to react to their two-goal disadvantage but Fleetwood dealt with whatever came their way with resilience.

With not long to go before halftime still Portsmouth press where Ronan Curtis works a yard of space in Fleetwood’s box however his effort is well wide of the post.

With 40 gone, Dan Butterworth and Johnston again combine down the right - Lane receives the ball 30 yards out and strikes one straight into the top corner - some strike for Town’s third.

A penalty by Curtis on the stroke of half-time pulled one back for the hosts and Portsmouth started the second half as they ended the first with constant pressure. Curtis’ cross into Fleetwood’s corridor of uncertainty where it was an absolute goal-mouth scramble, but Town cleared their lines.

On the hour mark, the Blues had a free-kick 20 yards out, but Reeco Hackett’s left-footed effort flew over the bar. With constant pressure from the hosts, George Hirst found himself behind Fleetwood’s lines but dragged his effort wide.

During the eight minutes added time, it was another delivery by Harness which found Hirst in the box who headed wide. With only a few minutes to go in stoppage time, O’Brien was one on one with Alex Cairns and slotted under him to level things up in the dying embers of the game.

Despite Fleetwood’s efforts to keep the hosts at bay, Pompey’s second-half resurgence and comeback mean both sides share the spoils.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew (C), Jules, Clarke, Harrison (86’ J.Garner), Camps, Pilkington (Butterworth 23’) Biggins, Lane (89’ Baggley), Nsiala, Johnston

Subs not used: O’Hara (GK), Morris, Baggley, Boyle, Hayes

Pompey XI: Bazunu (GK), Hume (69’ O’Brien), Robertson (C), Tunnicliffe, Walker, Harness, Curtis, Carter (78’ Hirst), Hackett, Raggett, Morrell

Subs not used: Webber (GK), Romeo, Ogilvie, Thompson, Mingi

Attendance: 15,224 (106 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account