Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town fight back and secure a point right at the death

2 December 2022

Match Reports

Report: Town fight back and secure a point right at the death

2 December 2022

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town came back to earn a point deep into stoppage time as Cian Hayes' goal meant the game would end one apiece at Portman Road.

It was a goal right at the start and the last attack before the final whistle that decided the Friday night fixture in Suffolk as Hayes' wild strike from range in injury time cancelled out Luke Woolfenden's opener, which was scored in the second minute of the game. 

It wasn’t the start to the game that Town had in mind as a set-piece routine from a corner saw the hosts gain the lead just two minutes in. Freddie Ladapo got on the end of the corner, whose shot was brilliantly saved by Jay Lynch, but the follow up from Woolfenden found the back of the net.

The Cods started to get into the game soon after with Paddy Lane picking out Callum Morton, as he tried to break the defensive line of Ipswich, which he did before feeding the ball to Promise Omochere, whose effort on goal went wayward from the edge of the box.

Lynch was called into action two more times 11 minutes in as Conor Chaplin and Kyle Edwards both tried their luck from 18 yards and were comfortably denied by Town’s number 13 between the sticks. A couple of minutes later, Lynch also stopped Ladapo’s effort at his near post.

Even after Fleetwood were struck with an injury to Lane in the 19th minute, the game looked to be more on level terms around the half-hour mark as both teams were looking for the next goal.

Former-Cod Wes Burns nodded over for the hosts, with Woolfenden having to get in the way of Omochere’s cross a couple of minutes later, which looked destined to set Morton off on a one-on-one situation inside the Ipswich area.

It was Town who had the last good chance of the half in the 38th minute as Shaun Rooney found himself in an advanced position and played a perfect through ball to Morton, who was in on goal, but his strike was stopped by Christian Walton.

Chances were at a premium in the second half as there were only two in the first 30 minutes of the period. Both fell to Chaplin and the home side, with the first forcing a diving save from Lynch, and the second flying well off target from range.

With not long to go in the clash, former-Cod Janoi Donacien found himself in an unfamiliar position, around the Town box on an attack, and fizzed a cross into the area but Cameron Humphreys couldn’t quite guide his effort on target.

A couple of changes were made and Fleetwood looked to have done enough to level things up four minutes from time as substitute Joe Garner, who came on for Dan Batty, got on the end of Lewis Warrington’s cross and headed at goal, only for a cluster of defenders to clear it off the line.

What an ending it was for Town as Hayes, who picked up the ball on the right wing decided to let-fly, with his shot taking a massive deflection, meaning it was out the reach of Walton and went into the back of the net off the post meaning Fleetwood would take a point home.

Ipswich XI: Walton (GK), Davis (Leigh 87’), Morsy (C), Woolfenden, Burns (Vincent-Young 87’), Ladapo (Ahadme 78’), Chaplin, Burgess, Edwards (Jackson 67’), Humphreys, Donacien.

Unused subs: Hladky (GK), Keogh, Edmundson.

Town XI: Lynch (GK), Vela (C), Morton, Lane (Batty 19’) (J.Garner 85’), Warrington, Holgate, G.Garner, Omochere (Hayes 79’), Nsiala, Rooney, Earl.

Unused subs: Stolarczyk (GK), Wiredu, Johnston, Baggley.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account