Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Four goals see Town secure away win over Rotherham

11 September 2021

Match Reports

Report: Four goals see Town secure away win over Rotherham

11 September 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town made it four games unbeaten on Saturday afternoon as they beat Rotherham United 4-2 at the AESSEAL New York Stadium.

Town opened the scoring in the game through a Callum Morton strike in the first half and, even though the hosts gained the lead after goals from Michael Smith and Kieran Sadlier, Fleetwood managed to convert three more chances in the second half through Ged Garner, Danny Andrew, and Callum Camps.

After two early first-half chances from Sadlier were blocked by the Town defence, Chiedozie Ogbene poised the first real threat of the game. He drove into the penalty area, creating space for the shot but sliced his effort over the crossbar. 

Michael Ihiekwe came close to giving Rotherham the lead when he rose highest in the box to meet Sadlier’s corner. His header towards the roof of the net was turned over superbly but the fingertips of the diving Alex Cairns.

It was Fleetwood who broke the deadlock 24 minutes in when Camps found the run of Morton. For a moment it looked as if the forward had been forced away from goal, but after some deceptive footwork and a quick change of pace, he fired past goalkeeper Viktor Johansson at the near post.

As The Millers looked to find a way back into the game, Smith tried his luck from range. However, his optimistic effort soared high over the Fleetwood goal.

Soon after, a deep free-kick saw the hosts come close to an equaliser. Sadlier’s inviting ball in found target man Smith whose header went just wide of the post.

After a wave of attacks, Rotherham levelled the score. Wes Harding’s long throw into the crowded penalty area was headed into the bottom corner by Smith – leaving Alex with no chance.

Just before the break, the home side were awarded a penalty when the referee deemed Camps to have fouled Ogbene inside the box. Sadlier stepped up and converted from the spot.

Town looked the better side in the early moments of the second half and Max Clark came close to finding an equaliser when he got on the end of Callum Johnson’s looping cross. After striking the ball first-time, goalkeeper Johansson was rooted to the spot, however, his effort was just wide of the post.

Fleetwood found a way back into the game less than ten minutes after the break. Camps proved pivotal once again when he slipped Garner through on goal, who slotted the ball through the legs of the goalkeeper after timing his run to perfection.

On the hour mark, the Cod Army took the lead when Andrew unleashed a free-kick 20-yards from goal.  His left-footed strike curled around the Rotherham wall and past the helpless goalkeeper who stood no chance.

At the other end, The Millers responded when Smith cut inside from the left-hand side. With little support, the forward had to go alone but his effort was off target.

Soon after, Fleetwood doubled the deficit courtesy of Camps. When Garner’s close-range shot was saved, Town’s number ten – who had been at the heart of the action all afternoon - pounced on the loose ball to fire home through a crowded penalty area.

Sadlier forced Cairns into another superb save with less than ten minutes to play. The Fleetwood stopper saw the Rotherham effort at the very last second and reacted in no time to prevent what was destined for a goal.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew, Clarke, D.Johnson (Clark 20’(Lane 71)), Morton (Edmondson 84’), Camps, Rossiter, G.Garner, Hill, C.Johnson, Biggins

Unused subs: Crellin (GK), J.Garner, Matete, Johnston.

Millers XI: Johansson (GK), Harding, Wood (C) (Edmonds-Green 66’), Sadlier, Wiles, Ladapo, Ogbene, Lindsay (Grigg 73’), Rathbone (Barlaser 66’), Ihiekwe, Smith

Unused subs: Vickers (GK), Mattock, Kayode, Odoffin.

Attendance: 8463 (216 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account