Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Injury-time goal sees Fleetwood Narrowly lose out to Ipswich

23 October 2021

Match Reports

Report: Injury-time goal sees Fleetwood Narrowly lose out to Ipswich

23 October 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town narrowly lost out Ipswich Town as the hosts scored the winning goal deep into injury time at Portman Road.

Callum Morton thought he had found a vital equaliser to cancel out Conor Chaplin’s opener, but Bersant Celina snatched the draw away from the visitors in the 93rd minute.

The first chance of the game fell to Kyle Edwards, but his shot from the left-hand side of the box was no trouble for Alex Cairns.

Fleetwood showed promising signs early on as a well-worked free-kick routine set Ged Garner up with a chance, but the striker couldn’t get the ball out from under his feet quick enough and the attempt on goal was blocked.

Macauley Bonne was the next man to try and break the deadlock as he found himself free in the middle of the box, but his attempted header was saved confidently by Cairns.

Morton tried the extraordinary as Town’s number nine looked to divert Callum Johnson’s cross by attempting an overhead kick, unfortunately, it was saved comfortably by Christian Walton.

Great individual play to keep the attack live from Dan Batty and he found G.Garner in an acre of space inside the box but once again, the forward failed to get the shot off quick enough.

The game stayed level, despite Ipswich having a good chance on the half-hour mark through Toto Nsiala, however, his headed effort went just over the bar.

Fleetwood looked to put the pressure on just before half-time as Batty, who never stopped running all half, chased down a loose ball in the corner and gave it to C.Johnson, who tried to play in Morton, but an unfortunate deflection took it out of his path.

Chaplin opened the scoring for the hosts as his left-footed strike from just outside the box left Cairns with no chance as it nestled the bottom right corner.

A great save from Town’s captain to keep the score at 1-0 as Edwards fired on across goal, but Cairns kept a strong hand to deny the opposition and send his side on the counter-attack.

From that counter, Fleetwood won a free-kick and Batty tried to be clever and it very nearly paid off, his low-driven shot under the wall was only kept out by a good save from Walton.

Garner was the man closest to getting on the scoresheet for Fleetwood, his linkup play with Harrison Biggins set him up nicely for a shot on goal, but Walton was equal to the task.

Town began to pile on the pressure with 20 minutes left through Batty, who was played in behind the Ipswich backline by Johnson, but his cross was put behind for a corner.

Cairns was called upon once again to deny the hosts and once again he did so with a fantastic save. Bonne’s low-driven attempt on goal was parried to safety by Town’s number one.

Morton brought the sides back on level terms with just under 10 minutes to go, thanks to an inch-perfect cross by Paddy Lane that found the #9 at the far post who made no mistake in nodding in from close range.

Fleetwood came so close to walking away with a point, but they, unfortunately, couldn’t see the game out as Celina scored an injury-time winner.

Ipswich XI: Walton (GK), Penney, Edmundson, Evans, Bonne, Chaplin (Burgess 90+4’), Nsiala, Aluko (Burns 60’), Edwards (Celina 65’), Donacien, Morsy (C)

Unused Subs: Hladky (GK), Harper, Pigott, El Mizouni

Town XI: Cairns (GK) (C), Andrew, McLaughlin (Johnston 81’), Morton, G. Garner (Lane 75’), Matete, Hill, Batty, Johnson, Biggins, Clark (Pilkington 65’)

Unused Subs: Crellin (GK), J. Garner, Edmondson, Teale

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account