Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Points shared with MK Dons in final Highbury clash of the season

1 May 2021

Match Reports

Report: Points shared with MK Dons in final Highbury clash of the season

1 May 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town ended up finishing their home campaign with a 1-1 draw against Milton Keynes Dons at Highbury on Saturday afternoon.

Ged Garner opened up the scoring in the tie midway through the second half, but his goal was cancelled out by Charlie Brown with eight minutes to go after he capitalised on an Alex Cairns parry.

It was Town who started off lively as on the seven-minute mark Danny Andrew swung a corner in, Wes Burns rose highest and headed on target, but Andy Fisher parried it away.

Just before ten minutes, James Hill’s long throw into the box asked questions of the MK Dons’ defence, but Wes Burns’ connection with the ball couldn’t be guided goal bound.

The visitors’ first chance of the game came 17 minutes in as Matthew Sorinola picked up the loose ball from the ricochet off Hill’s initial tackle but dragged his effort well wide.

The Dons dominated the ball for the next ten minutes, their only chance which tested Cairns was Sorinola’s driven effort which Cairns got down well too.

On the half an hour mark it was a swift counter-attacking move from the Cod Army, Barrie McKay picked the ball up from deep, a clever touch around his man, laid it wide to Garner whose drilled pass to Harrison Biggins flew through the crowd, but the latter's effort was blocked.

Another slick counterattack came as Burns and Hill combined well to work the way through the Dons’ press, Hill played it to Jordan Rossiter who’s through ball to Janoi Donacien was enough to earn a corner which came to nothing.

A few moments before the half-time break, Andrew’s free-kick from 30 yards looked testing, but Fisher got down to match and both teams went into the break level.

The first half started quiet, with the first major chance came on the hour mark as Scott Fraser’s effort was pushed away from danger.

The deadlock was broken in the favour of the Cod Army as Burns drove forward down the right, gave it to Garner who cut in and slotted home with help from the post just over the hour mark.

After the goal it was all Fleetwood with a number of successive chances, Burns always a constant threat down the right as he pulled the ball back to Biggins but his effort was blocked.

The Dons replied just short of half an hour later as Brown followed in on his original effort from Cairns’ parry.

The spoils were then shared on the Fylde Coast as neither side could find the difference they needed for the winner.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew, Connolly (C), Burns, Rossiter, McKay, Donacien, Finley, Biggins, Garner, Hill

Subs not used: Coleman (GK), Whelan, Morris, Vassell, Sheron, Baggley, Feeney

Dons XI: Fisher (GK), Lewington (C), Jules, McEachran (67’ Brown), Darling, Kasumu (45’ Thompson), Grigg (83’ Bird), Fraser, Surman (68’ Houghton), O’Riley (35’ Sorenson), Sorinola

Subs not used: Nicholls (GK), Laird, Thompson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account