Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Fleetwood finish season off with a loss to Ipswich

9 May 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town finished off their Sky Bet League One campaign on Sunday afternoon as they lost 3-1 to Ipswich Town at Portman Road.

Three goals conceded in the first half from three different scorers gave Fleetwood a mountain to climb in the second as Wes Burns’ goal with 20 minutes to go was just a mere consolation as Ipswich’s defence stood strong until the final whistle.

The hosts opened the scoring early in the game as only three minutes in James Norwood struck home from 12-yards out to give the hosts the lead.

Ipswich then doubled their advantage only six minutes later as Gwion Edwards shrugged off James Hill’s pressure and managed to squeeze in his driven effort from the angle past Alex Cairns.

Fleetwood immediately looked to find a response as Burns picked up the ball from deep, laid it off to Harrison Biggins whose ball over the top was intended for Kyle Vassell, but it was over-hit and the attack fizzled out.

The Cod Army then found a little bit of rhythm in the hope to get back into the game as just before the 20-minute-mark Barrie McKay’s one on one effort was saved by David Cornell.

The momentum carried with the visitors as Burns did brilliantly down the right to get past his man and get the cross in, but a bouncing ball in the box couldn’t be capitalised on by a red shirt, and the hosts cleared.

Ipswich then trebled their lead just before the half an hour mark as Troy Parrott found himself in behind Fleetwood’s lines and sent it into the back of the net.

A few minutes before the half-time break, McKay carried the ball half the pitch through the Tractor Boys’ defence, he squared it to Vassell whose effort was tame and easy for the ‘keeper.

Fleetwood started the second half with the higher intensity between the two sides where Burns and McKay combined well down the right where the former’s skill moves proved testing for the hosts’ defence, but those particular attacks fizzled out.

A smart team move by Fleetwood came when Callum Connolly’s ball into the middle of the park was met by a feint from Harrison Biggins which sent the Ipswich man the opposite way, it came to Garner who laid it off to Sam Finley whose effort went over.

Fleetwood’s account was opened for the afternoon as on the 71st minute Burns picked up the ball from deep, drove down the right, and then hammered home into the left corner.

Despite Town’s best efforts to get back into the game, the final 15 minutes was a quiet period between both sides and the scoreline stayed the same as Town lose the final game of this campaign.

FTFC XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew (84’ J.Morris), Connolly (C), Burns, Rossiter, Vassell (45’ Sheron), McKay (84’ Baggley), Finley (84’ Whelan), Biggins, Garner, Hill

Subs not used: Coleman (GK), Holgate, S.Morris

ITFC XI: Cornell (GK), Chambers, Woolfenden, McGuinness, Kenlock, Dozzell, Downes, Dobra (78’ Jackson), Parrott (78’ Harrop), Edwards (16’ Bennetts (78’ Skuse), Norwood (69’ Bishop)

Subs not used: Holy (GK), Nsiala.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account