Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Goals from Connolly and Garner secure max points against Ipswich

16 March 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town extended their unbeaten run to six games as they managed to beat Ipswich Town 2-0 at Highbury Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Simon Grayson’s side started the game as they meant to go on as they broke the deadlock nine minutes into the game as Callum Connolly converted from James Hill’s long throw. Ged Garner made it two in the second half after finishing off a tidy counter-attack, started by fellow forward Kyle Vassell.

Fleetwood managed to take the lead with the first chance of the game as Hill did one of his trademark throws, from the right into a packed Ipswich box, towards Connolly who nodded the ball into the far corner.

The home side then went on the attack just two minutes later as Sam Finley received the ball 25-yards out, dribbled into some space on the edge of the box, but his shot ended up going just wide of the right-hand post.

15 minutes in, Vassell found Garner 20-yards out, who took control of the ball, composed himself, and struck the ball towards goal, worrying Tomas Holy even though the effort went the wrong side of the post.

The game was fiercely battled in the middle of the park until the end of the half when Vassell took a touch to get away from his marker, before playing it into the box for Garner, who forced the goalkeeper into a save with his feet.

The action kicked on right at the start of the second half as Fleetwood managed to win a free-kick deep inside the opposition’s half. Dan Batty whipped it towards the front post, where Vassell was able to head towards the goal, but the shot went just over the bar.

The Cod Army doubled their lead ten minutes into the half as Vassell started a counter-attack, then fed the ball to Garner, who got the ball out of his feet and drove the ball into the bottom right corner, past Holy.

Multiple chances soon followed as Wes Burns beat his man but hit his shot straight at Holy from inside the area before Sam Finley played an inch-perfect ball to Danny Andrew, who found Vassell in the box, but his shot was saved by the goalkeeper.

In the 75th minute, Vassell was on the attack, yet again, as he dribbled in between two defenders and pushed the ball out to the wing, he then played a one-two with Batty, with the midfielder trying his luck from the edge of the box, but it was easily saved.

The last big chance of the game fell to substitute Harrison Biggins in the 83rd minute. A defensive mishap saw the goalkeeper clear the ball to the midfielder 20-yards out but his half-volley couldn’t find the back of the net.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew, Connolly (C), Burns, Rossiter (Biggins 77’), Vassell, Finley (J.Morris 85’), Batty, Garner, Holgate, Hill.

Subs not used: Coleman (GK), Duffy, , Rydel, S.Morris.

Ipswich XI: Holy (GK), Chambers (C), Wilson, Edwards (Harrop 45’), Skuse (Bishop 81’), Jackson (Lankester 66’), Judge, Nsiala, Dozzell, Kenlock (Ward 66’), Parrott (Drinan 66’).

Subs not used: Cornell (GK), Bennetts.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account