Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Cagey affair against local rivals Blackpool ends in a draw

13 March 2021

Match Reports

Report: Cagey affair against local rivals Blackpool ends in a draw

13 March 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town played out a cagey affair against local rivals Blackpool, as the game finishes 0-0 at Bloomfield Road.

Jerry Yates came close to opening the scoring for the Seasiders in the first half when he tested Alex Cairns from close range. Kyle Vassell had Fleetwood’s best chance towards the end of the second half when he fired just over the top of Chris Maxwell’s goal.

Blackpool had the opening chance of the game inside the opening few minutes when CJ Hamilton cut the ball back to Sully Kaikai on the penalty spot, but his shot was blocked and cleared by the Fleetwood defence.

There was an early penalty shout for Town when Danny Andrew’s cross appeared to strike the arm of Dan Ballard, but the referee waved play on.

The hosts almost broke the deadlock when Luke Garbutt’s ball into the box found Yates, whose diving header forced goalkeeper Cairns into a superb save from close range.

At the other end of the field, the Cod Army had their first effort on goal. Dan Batty’s cross to the back post was met by the head of Janoi Donacien, but his headed effort could only find the gloves of Chris Maxwell.

Town came close moments later with Vassell at the heart of their counterattack. Ollie Turton was able to make a tackle but could clear only as far as Ged Garner, whose strike flew over the bar.

After demonstrating his defensive duties, Turton had the chance to go forward when he got on the end of Garbutt’s pass. He struck the ball from the edge of the area but fired high over Cairns’ goal meaning both sides went into the break goalless.

It was a bright start to the second half for the Seasiders. Ellis Simms almost opened the scoring, but Cairns was in the way to make another block from close range. James Hill made a superb last-ditch challenge to prevent the centre-forward from converting at the second attempt.

Garner troubled Maxwell when he optimistically tried his luck from range. The Blackpool stopper could only parry the ball back into play and strike partner Vassell went in for the follow-up but fouled the goalkeeper.

The Cod Army came close for the second time in a matter of minutes when Garner tried to pick out teammate Vassell at the back post with a driven ball across the face of goal but the ball was just beyond the reach of his teammate.

Pool came close to taking the lead when Kai Kai’s low cross picked out CJ Hamilton at the back post. The winger’s effort hit the woodwork and bounced out of play for a goal kick.

Fleetwood had the chance to capitalise on Hamilton’s miss when Sam Finley found space on the edge of Blackpool’s box. However, his effort didn’t trouble Maxwell.

The Cod Army had their best chance of the game with 10 minutes left on the clock. Wes Burns found Vassell in space on the edge of the box whose effort flew just over the crossbar.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew, Connolly (C), Burns, Rossiter, Vassell, Donacien, Finley, Batty, Garner (Madden 69), Hill.

Unused subs: Coleman (GK), Duffy, Saunders, Biggins, Holgate, Morris.

Blackpool XI: Maxwell (C), Husband, Yates, Kaikai, Dougall, Simms, Turton, Hamilton (Mitchell 73), Ballard, Garbutt, Stewart (Virtue 36).

Unused subs: Moore (GK), Gabriel, Thorniley, Ward, Embleton

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account