Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rossiter header hands Town win over Port Vale

13 July 2021

Club News

Rossiter header hands Town win over Port Vale

13 July 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town made it back-to-back pre-season victories with a 1-0 win over Port Vale at Poolfoot Farm on Tuesday afternoon.

Jordan Rossiter headed home Max Clark’s looping corner in the first half to score the only goal of the game. The Cod Army created a variety of different chances throughout the four 30-minute quarters and came out deserved winners.

Fleetwood threatened early in the game when Clark’s ball over the top was mishandled by goalkeeper Aiden Stone. The loose ball was fired towards goal by a combination of Jordan Rossiter and Harrison Biggins, but their effort sailed just over the crossbar.

David Amoo called Billy Crellin into action when his shot from inside the penalty area forced the Fleetwood stopper into a fine reaction save.

Town were inches away from the opening goal when Danny Andrew’s deep cross found Max Clarke at the back post, whose headed effort struck the woodwork before being cleared by the Valients’ defence. Moment’s later, Max McMillan’s looping header was denied by a combination of defender and crossbar.

Harrison Biggins troubled Stone when he tried his luck from range, forcing a diving save out of the Port Vale keeper.

James Hill’s long throw into the penalty area found McMillian at the far post. He poked the ball towards goal, but he saw his shot parried away by the goalkeeper. 

Town broke the deadlock with the first chance of the second quarter. Clarke’s looping corner was nodded home by Rossiter at the back post to give the hosts the lead.

A fresh Cod Army 11 entered the field of play for the third period and straight from the whistle, both teams sparked to life. Barry Baggley drove forward down the left hand side, creating space for the shot but his effort was comfortable for the goalkeeper. 

Port Vale’s Devante Rodney looked to level the score with an ambitious long-range effort which rattled the cross bar.

At the other end, Ged Garner drove into the centre of the park and found himself with time and space. He unleashed a clean strike from 35 yards, but his effort flew just over the bar.

Garner was at the heart of the action since he entered the field and came close to doubling his sides lead again. This time he looked to bend the ball into the bottom left corner, but his shot was off target. 

The final quarter was a highly contested encounter with the Valients chasing an equaliser and Town looking for that all important second goal.

Fleetwood almost grabbed the deciding goal when Dan Batty’s defence splitting pass was met by Baggley, but a last-ditch challenge from a Port Vale defender meant his shot was blocked.

The visitors almost levelled the score when Devante Rodney’s powerful effort struck the near post of Alex Cairn’s goal before bouncing behind for a goal kick.

Carl Johnson came close to sealing the Cod Army’s victory in style, but his curling free kick was superbly saved by Stone. 

First-half XI: Crellin (GK), Hill, Teale, Andrew, Morris, Boyle, Biggins, Rossiter, Clark, Conn-Clarke, McMillan.

Second-half XI: Cairns (GK), Thiam, T.Clarke, Holgate, Lane, Matete, Johnston, Raffie (Hayes 95'), Batty, Baggley, Garner.

Unused subs: Wright (GK), Bird.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account