Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Town narrowly lose out to Plymouth at Home Park

13 February 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town fell to a narrow 1-0 defeat to Plymouth Argyle at Home Park on Saturday afternoon.

The Pilgrims opened the scoring when Byron Moore’s cross was turned into his own goal by defender Harrison Holgate. The Cod Army piled the pressure on the Argyle defence, creating chances of their own, but couldn’t find a way past goalkeeper Michael Cooper.

Town had the first chance of the game in the opening minutes when Kyle Vassell was fouled on the right-hand side by Kelland Watts. The resulting free-kick was whipped into the box by Charlie Mulgrew but goalkeeper Cooper was in the way, tipping the shot over the bar.

Fleetwood continued to threaten in the early stages when Dan Batty picked out Paddy Madden with an exquisite pass. His ball towards Vassell was diverted towards goal by Argyle defender Will Aimson, but the ball fell nicely into the gloves of Cooper.

In the 12th minute, the Pilgrims broke the deadlock when Moore’s driven delivery across the face of goal was turned into his own net by Holgate.

The hosts had the chance to double their lead when Luke Jephcott received the ball on the edge of the area from Conor Grant. He stuck his effort along the turf, but it was too close to Alex Cairns.

Moments later, Fleetwood appeared to have broken the Argyle offside trap. After latching onto a loose ball, Madden played Vassell in behind who slotted the ball past the goalkeeper, but the assistant raised his flag.

It was the home side’s turn to attack minutes later as Cairns was called into action. Jephcott’s strike from the edge of the area was saved by the left hand of the Fleetwood goalkeeper Cairns, who reacted quickly to deny Niall Ennis’ follow up attempt.

Just before the break, the strike partnership of Vassell and Madden proved to be a threat once again. The pair linked up before Madden tried to square the ball to Callum Camps, but a last-ditch defensive challenge saw the pass cut out.

Grant threatened for the hosts early in the second half. He skipped two challenges, making his way into the area, before firing a cross shot on goal from a narrow angle, but Cairns stood tall and turned the ball behind for a corner.

The Cod Army came close to levelling the score when Batty’s ball over the top was controlled by Camps, but he was unable to poke the ball past the onrushing Cooper.

Town had another chance to draw level when substitute Sam Finley picked out Kyle Vassell in the six-yard box, but he could only find the side netting.

Ryan Hardie found himself at the centre of the action of Plymouth. After firing over under pressure from Janoi Donacien, the striker had the chance to double his side’s lead when Lewis picked him out on the penalty spot. His effort was cleared off the by a combination of Cairns and Ryan Rydel.

The final chance of the game fell to the visitors as substitute Rydel managed to control a loose ball on the edge of the Plymouth box, but when he lined up his eventual shot, he seemed to lose his footing and the strike went wide of the target – meaning the Pilgrims picked up all three points at Home Park.

Plymouth XI: Cooper (GK), Watts, Aimson, Mayor (C), Grant, Moore (Edwards 84), Fornah, Ennis, Opoku, Camara (Lewis 71), Jephcott (Hardie 69).

Unused subs: McCormick (GK), Reeves, Lolos, Woods.

Town XI: Cairns (GK), Andrew (Saunders 81), Connolly, Camps (McKay 87), Mulgrew, Rossiter (Finely 63), Madden (C), Vassell, Donacien, Batty, Holgate (Rydel 81).

Unused subs: Coleman (GK), Duffy, J.Morris, S.Morris.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account