Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Under-18s knocked out of FA Youth Cup by Liverpool

13 December 2021

Match Reports

Report: Under-18s knocked out of FA Youth Cup by Liverpool

13 December 2021

Sponsored by

Fleetwood Town’s Under-18s run in the FA Youth Cup came to an end on Saturday evening as they lost out to Premier League Academy, Liverpool, at The Academy.

Even though the young Cods didn’t get the result they were wanting from their trip to Merseyside, they can be proud of how they pushed throughout the game and pressured the Category One Academy at the training complex.

Town managed to create the first chance of the game early on and it was through Joe Hunter as he dribbled his way into the opposition’s box and tried his luck from a tight angle and, unluckily, hit the post.

Connor Eastham was called into action soon after as Liverpool’s number nine was put through on goal, but the Fleetwood goalkeeper did enough to stop the ball from finding the back of the net, keeping the game goalless.

The Reds did eventually take the lead in the game on the half-hour mark from the penalty spot as the captain Luke Chambers sent Eastham the wrong way making the game one-nil.

Simon Wiles’ side had a brilliant chance to bring the game back to level terms soon after through a Billy Jones strike. The versatile player managed to pressure the Liverpool defence, winning the ball back in an attacking position, before firing an effort just wide of the post.

Before the break, Liverpool managed to extend their lead as a quickfire brace from Mateusz Musialowski made it 3-0 to the home side. His first started when he cut the ball onto his right foot before putting the ball into the bottom right corner.

Just after, he bagged his second after winning the ball back seconds before the half-time whistle and went himself, finding the back of the net.

Fleetwood came out after the break on the front foot as they looked to reduce the deficit and bring themselves back into the cup tie. It was Hunter again who started the attack as he carried the ball towards goal but fired just wide of the goalkeeper’s post.

Unfortunately, the next goal finished off the tie as Musialowski completed his hat-trick 22 minutes from time and even though the young Cods created chances in the time that was left, they were unable to forge a comeback.

Everyone at Fleetwood Town is extremely proud of what the Under-18s have achieved once again this year, reaching the third round of the competition for the third year in a row – here’s to next year’s run hopefully being the same!

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account